NUCB-Friendly Doctors in Athens, Ohio??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone out there from Athens, Ohio? I moved here last year. Pregnant, now, and have no clue as to who is a good OB out this way. I had a natural childbirth with my first, and would like to do so, again. I would prefer a care provider who would be okay with me refusing certain tests and won't frown upon pushing in different positions. Does anyone have a recommendation for me? I'd appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 01:01 PM

I live 30 minutes from Athens. I had an emergency c-section with my first, repeat with my second and an attempted homebirth that turned into an emergency c-section. But the midwife I tried having a homebirth with lives in Athens. Her website is www.silvermoonmidwifery.com

HTH! :)

Old 06-04-2011, 01:02 PM

She might know of an ob that is open to what you're wanting..

Old 06-04-2011, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I ended up getting a few responses to this question on a different forum and also talked with a local doula. I found a MW (Sue Campbell) that just started delivering at the hospital up here. I love Delphine, but I had a severe PPH with my first and am opting to go to the hospital for my second birth. Thanks, again!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 PM

Dr. Jane Broeker at River Rose, is the only decent ob in Athens, IMHO!

Even w a hx of pph, unless you have a clotting disorder, I'd vote for staying home, just adjust your diet accordingly. Most (not all) pph are caused by insufficient Vit K sources in the prenatal diet. Some other causes are induced or augmented labor, or pulling on the placenta before it's detached, which shouldn't happen at home anyway. Most pphs are quickly & easily delt w at home using herbal remedies, but even going in after the birth for some IV fluids beats birthing there (again, IMHO).   

Old 07-01-2011, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. In my case, my grandmother also had a bleeding disorder that was unspecified. I have had genetic testing done, but knowing that doctors could never figure out my grandmother's clotting disorder is something that factors into my decision.

The doctor did not cause my PPH---my placenta came almost immediately after the baby, on it's own. It was a shock to my doula how much I bled b/c I had a completely straight-forward, natural birth. She attends home births all the time, but even she was concerned about the amount I bled (and how quickly it happened) and whether that would risk me out of one for this next pregnancy. It took multiple medications and internal massage to get the bleeding stopped. My hgb was a 6, afterwards, and the doctor grilled me about my heritage b/c she couldn't believe what happened (she was looking for a genetic component).

In researching staying at home vs. going to the hospital and interviewing various home and hospital providers, I feel like I am making a completely informed decision in choosing to have a CNM-attended birth in a hospital, where I will have quick access to blood or even surgery, should I need it. I know I am giving up some things in going to the hospital, but I am also gaining some peace of mind, given my history of bleeding and my grandmother's. I am not expecting a home birth in a hospital---I know the "risks." But other than my PPH with my first birth, everything went exactly as I would have had it, at home or the hospital. So I remain hopeful that my next birth will be just as great, minus the PPH complication. (And I am boosting my iron and vitamin k stores ahead of time, to be on the safe side.)

Also, I have met with Dr. Broeker and liked her, but I do not like how large of a practice River Rose has become. There are at least a couple doctors there I would not be comfortable with. I know some women that have had good experiences there, but it's just not for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:38 PM

I second Dr Broker! Dr. Bertuna is also quite good, though young and less experienced. I heard she is good about backing off and letting women labor. The problem with River Rose is that you get who is on call. I loathed Dr. Clark, he spends too much time with his horses and it shows in the examining room, I didn't even know a pelvic exam could happen so fast! Clark is known around town as being a C Section pusher and brags about how fast he can do one. Ramey also has a bad reputation...

I know people who were happy with Chan and Coats, they are both very reserved about giving C Sections from what I have heard...

If you want another midwife option, there is one out of West Virginia who facilitated my daughters birth (there are many very good local midwives in athens but they are underground because they don't want to lose their nursing licenses). Angelita Nixon is the WV one:

http://anmidwife.com/

She is very professional, and can help you bill through your insurance. They were talking about getting someone local to do the Athens births but through her administrator, which is what I did, but it was very unofficial.

Wow they are letting a midwife deliver in a hospital? How civilized!! Which hospital? I would have loved the option of a compromise with my first but I was too afraid to get stuck with horse Csection man (who somehow I got stuck with for EVERY prenatal visit, even though I am Broekers patient) so I did a homebirth instead of hospital and delivered in 3.5 hours. I had a wonderful experience, I would be interested in knowing more about the  CNM-attended birth  though... do share what you find out :-)

Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Sue Campbell and Dr. Coats are working together, now, at Holzer Clinic. :) Sue is the CNM who will attend my delivery at O'Bleness. This is all fairly recent. It happened AFTER I got pregnant.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

OH, also, there is a CNM named Denae that attends births at Marietta Memorial Hospital.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:26 PM

Great to know!! Thank you ! We are living in Barcelona (hubby is on sabbatical) but we are coming home soon and I hope to get pregnant soon.I was really happy with a homebirth but I think it would be hard with my daughter there, I am not sure if I really want her involved or not. Guess I have to ask around other moms to see what they did with the second child... The thought of being someplace else sounds nice...

User Tag List