Looking for friends in Genesee!! Possible garden-sharing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-19-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hello!  I'm a 21 year old SAHM to a 3 month old baby boy living right outside Flint and I'm looking for like-minded mommy friends.  I'm currently living with my parents while my husband is deployed with the Army and my family drives me nuts.  Sometimes I just need someone to talk to or somewhere to go to get away from it all and the inlaws aren't much better!  Actually I think they're probably worse.  We cloth diaper, co-sleep, breastfeed, and occasionally babywear.  While you don't have to be my clone to 'qualify', it would be nice if you thought of these things in a positive light.

Also, we live on 1 1/2 acres and are planning on having a (hopefully organic) garden this year.  Since both of my parents are physically disabled (I am the only 'normal' one) I'm usually the main caretaker of the garden once its started.  We would like to find another family to help share in the work and benefits.  Plowing, planting, pulling, and picking can be quite entertaining but hard work if you have to do it alone!

You can also become friends with my parents if you can stand it.  They aren't horrible but my dad loves to hear himself talk (and talk and talk and talk).  They like to play cards and unless they are at a doctors appointment, which they have many of, they're usually home.

If you're interested in either the friendship or the garden-sharing (or both) send me a PM!  I'm really lonely out here!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#2 of 10 Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I live in Saginaw.  We homebirth, co-sleep, breastfeed (and extended bf/child-led weaning)/tandem bf, cloth diaper, babywear, non-vax, and homeschool.  I think I'm about a half hour from Flint.  I have 3 little ones, ranging from 1 year old to 5.5 years old.  I couldn't do a garden (we have our own plot here in a community garden), but I'd be more than happy to get together for a playdate sometime!  wave.gif

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#3 of 10 Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 PM

hey there! i am in flint, and while i have my own garden to tend, i wanted to invite you to LLL. we have 2 chapters- one in fenton and one in grand blanc. if you are interested in times, dates, and location, send me a pm. the fenton group is pretty active with several different get togethers monthly (regular series meeting, enrichment meeting, playgroup).

there is also a genesee county babywearers group that meets monthly (or more?).

lots of like minded mamas in the area. :)

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#4 of 10 Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm in Capac, about 40mins away I think. But I'm currently 40 minutes from everything so no biggie at least on my end wave.gif

(at least it's a pretty straight shot across 69)

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#5 of 10 Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

tiphat.gif  I just went to the Fenton series meeting.  Kind of farther than I thought it would be.  I think I'll try the Grand Blanc meeting next time.  We found one family (actually my dad found them) to help us out but this garden is bigger than I thought it would be!

#6 of 10 Old 04-18-2011, 08:00 PM

was i there? lol! the gb group is meeting tomorrow, maybe i'll see you there! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

tiphat.gif  I just went to the Fenton series meeting.  Kind of farther than I thought it would be.  I think I'll try the Grand Blanc meeting next time.  We found one family (actually my dad found them) to help us out but this garden is bigger than I thought it would be!

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#7 of 10 Old 04-22-2011, 03:56 PM

We're close. :) We live in Otisville(within Forestville Township); organic gardening is what I did last year, and would love to do it again if I can juggle doing that plus caring for our firstborn son! Everyone loved my organic Basil last year - it was great. I'm a breastfeeding mama, too, non-vax, cloth diapering, and will co-sleep once our baby can move his own head and throw blankets away from his head(this is the only age my fiance will feel comfortable co-sleeping).
#8 of 10 Old 04-26-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania8 View Post

was i there? lol! the gb group is meeting tomorrow, maybe i'll see you there! :)

Whoops.  Maybe a later one.  I have some family issues going on and I've been distracted.

#9 of 10 Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoSoul View Post

We're close. :) We live in Otisville(within Forestville Township); organic gardening is what I did last year, and would love to do it again if I can juggle doing that plus caring for our firstborn son! Everyone loved my organic Basil last year - it was great. I'm a breastfeeding mama, too, non-vax, cloth diapering, and will co-sleep once our baby can move his own head and throw blankets away from his head(this is the only age my fiance will feel comfortable co-sleeping).

Really close!  We haven't planted anything yet but might starting today and a bunch more in early May.  It would be awesome if you wanted to come by and look around at what we have done so far.

And my DS knew how to arrange his blankets around 3.5-4 months.  Now he pushes them off at night with his legs.

#10 of 10 Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 AM

Oooh, I love organic gardening!  I'd love to hear how your gardening went this year -- if you're not still in the throes of canning and such things.  Had I seen this closer to when you posted it, I'd have definitely wanted to share in the work.  So please think of me next year if you're still doing things like that.

I'm also looking for friends in the Genesee County area.  I moved to Michigan about two years ago and have been working full time and raising my son (now almost three).  And in my work environment (very male-dominated) I feel like such a freak with an uncircumcised, no vax, extended breast feeding (we're still at it), organic son. 

Please feel free to PM me about organic gardening, food, stuff.

Organic Ema

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page