Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, recommendations:

family health care,

dentists,

times to go to parks to meet AP families,

Bloomington AP/secular homeschooling/unschooing facebook pages

And we have a pretty good idea of where we'll end up renting, but if you've got a great place near you for under $900 a month and they'd like someone by the end of April or so, let me know!

Thanks!

#2 of 22 Old 03-20-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and, obviously because of dh's job, we've got IU's health insurance.

#3 of 22 Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

If you had a choice between Henderson a few blocks south of Bryan park, or Smith and 3rd street, which would you pick?

#4 of 22 Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

If you had a choice between Henderson a few blocks south of Bryan park, or Smith and 3rd street, which would you pick?

Henderson.  You'd be able to walk just about anywhere for kid-friendly activities.  Smith and 3rd is getting out there...  Although, if you want to walk to do groceries, you might be better off at Smith and 3rd...

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#5 of 22 Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 PM

and here's a google calendar list of kid-friendly activities:

https://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/g2htram8qpq572vnlja2d1rr1g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic

#6 of 22 Old 03-28-2011, 08:08 PM

family healthcare - for MD-type care, we go to Landmark Family Practice (Dr. Florini, specifically).  but most of the time we see our naturopath (and my mentor) at the Center for Wholism.  

dentist - Dr. Eads at Henderson/Walnut Pike/Winslow area.  He charges a bit more but he lets parents into the exam room with kids (actually, not a common thing here, especially for most of the pediatric dentists).  And he is definitely a family dentist, also not a common thing.  He's also not one to push procedures, so if you choose not to do fluoride, he won't get huffy.  The dental hygienists... well.... they're a different story ;)

I know little about AP groups and such - we're out of the playgroup age.  BABS would be a good resource though.  There is a moms meetup group or some such thing, though it isn't exactly AP.  They do charge a small monthly fee, if I recall correctly.

#7 of 22 Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

Unfortunately, it looks like the Henderson place is out of budget for this year because of the timing on the lease on this place. Plus, it's got 1950s wiring and is not going to handle our usual electric load.

Dh works at 10th and the bypass, so the west side of town works for him to be home extra fast, dd and I can ride the bus into town, or drive places.

#8 of 22 Old 03-31-2011, 05:15 PM

Smith Rd. or St? I would move to Smith Rd. and 3rd. I used to live in that area and I loved it., I was able to walk to the co-op and Marsh.  If you love walking, Bryan park is a nice 45 min. stroll.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#9 of 22 Old 03-31-2011, 05:19 PM

We just leased a place near Cascade park. I would have preferred the east side, but we couldn't find a home for rent that would fit all six of us. Hoping to buy in that area sometime in the next year.   We looked on the west side;  the area west of Walnut and South of the Pike had a lot sex offenders. 

I will be homeschooling my younger ones, lmk what secular groups you find :)

#10 of 22 Old 03-31-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post

Smith Rd. or St? I would move to Smith Rd. and 3rd. I used to live in that area and I loved it., I was able to walk to the co-op and Marsh.  If you love walking, Bryan park is a nice 45 min. stroll.

Smith Rd. Yeah, it's a good location. The apartment complex that had an opening though was not at all family-oriented.

We're actually going to look at another place, closer to dh's work, in a complex with a playground.

And then there's a newer house about a mile south of Bryan park, with a fenced in yard, that is probably what we'll end up with.

The bus line in Btown is better than Indy's, driving times are shorter, not going to be that horrible to not be in walking distance of everything.

#11 of 22 Old 03-31-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

There's a pretty good Indy-area unschooler's group started, we could start a Bloomington branch of secular homeschool-friendly families!

#12 of 22 Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 PM

You could tap into connections through BABS or through Barefoot Herbs/Barefoot Kids or through LLL.  Maybe post a few flyers around - Saharamart, Bloomingfoods, Barnes and Noble, MCPL, etc.  There is a binder at the MCPL on Kirkwood apparently that houses information about various local groups - you could insert something in there.

#13 of 22 Old 04-04-2011, 01:26 PM

Thank you for the suggestions, Bluets. Sapphire, we aren't un-schoolers, but I am definitely interested in any type of secular group. I did find a group called LEARN, I guess they are open to all.

#14 of 22 Old 04-04-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Did you find any web presence for them? I'd seen LEARN previously, but only on fairly comprehensive lists of IN homeschool groups.

#15 of 22 Old 04-05-2011, 01:44 PM

I did find a blog page with a lot of good info. The address is learninbloomington.blogspot.com

#16 of 22 Old 04-05-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent!

#17 of 22 Old 05-15-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Update: we moved, and ended up on the east side near Pete Ellis and 10th.

#18 of 22 Old 05-16-2011, 09:52 AM

Near the post office and Woodbridge? I think that is considered the east side. I really like the area over there.

Dh is moving into our house by Cascade Park today. We are moving down on June 4th, I am so excited about the move.

#19 of 22 Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Heh. I see what I did there. Yes, very much the east side. We'll be moving again in August a bit less than a mile from where we are now.

#20 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 AM

Nice, glad you were able to find a place to live. Too bad you have to move again in Aug.

I am over moving! I cannot wait to find a home to buy because I am not going to move again for a looong time smile.gif

#21 of 22 Old 05-20-2011, 07:52 PM

sapphire - just watch the traffic.  the big construction pit on the bypass will be fully closed for 2 weeks or so in midJune.  ugh.  almost every street we drive on has some amount of construction on it.  completely sucky because of course they wait until the students leave...

we're out further on the east side, in a subdivision off 446 (down towards the lake).  just far enough out of town to not be eligible for most city services, except water (hello, summer rate hikes).

i made it out to the holistic vet in nashville, if anyone is looking for one.  she's.... eccentric....  but i really really like her.  it is completely worth the round-trip 40 minutes in the car with the wailing cat.  and for me, she responds to email.  woot (i hate playing phone tag).  i'm an ND apprentice, so she also is giving me some training advice here and there -- maybe it isn't standard pet owner treatment that i get.  but i still highly recommend her if you're looking for alternative treatment for your animal family member.

#22 of 22 Old 05-20-2011, 08:02 PM

I just saw this in new posts and wanted to say welcome to Bloomington (I live there too) :-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page