Southeast Ohio Midwives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there are some midwives in southeast ohio.  Does anyone on here know who they are or how to contact them?  I can't go to birth circle meetings to ask, I work Wednesday nights.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#2 of 9 Old 07-04-2011, 03:32 PM

Did you find a midwife? If not, I can possibly direct you to a homebirth midwife.

#3 of 9 Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM

HI there, many of the Athens midwives are underground. The best person to contact is Angelita Nixon, she is a WV midwife that caters to SE Ohio and can point you in the right direction.

Her website is http://anmidwife.com/

She and another midwife facilitated my homebirth.

Good luck!

#4 of 9 Old 07-12-2011, 07:04 AM

sonitaw, with all due respect to you,  I must disagree with the statement made:  "many of the Athens midwives are underground" -   Perhaps you directly know of one?  But, many?         I am addressing this,not only because I think it is a false statement, but because it portrays home birth midwives  as underground when they are not.       In  the State of Ohio home birth midwives are able to practice traditionally.       I previously was a resident of Athens County and provided a home birth midwifery service for many years---never underground.  I'm in Central Ohio now, and still serve areas of SE Ohio.                Home birth midwives are able to practice in Ohio-    -  and I make this statement due to both oral and written statements and actions from public officials & offices and from my direct experience and presence I had with the 129th General Assembly (Ohio  Legislature), the  Director of Health,and the Governor of Ohio.  I ask concerned citizens of Ohio who value the services of home birth midwives to be careful to provide clarity on the legal status of our midwives, otherwise we risk running amuck with popular opinion!  Those opinions held in public arena can bring a swell of negative consequences -   for home birth families, as well as midwives. 

Marlene is another very experienced home birth midwife and you won't find her underground, either : )    Try   mareleneCPM@frontier.com

San Hess,   CPM, Traditional Midwife

Heartland Midwifery

330-231-5945

#5 of 9 Old 07-12-2011, 07:29 AM

just thought you might want Southeast Ohio Friends of Midwives contact if you have questions

seofom@gmail.com

#6 of 9 Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 AM

Yes, I am in SE OH and have never been "underground". I do births all over southern OH. I have a good relationship w several area docs. And know most of the midwives in OH, esp. in  the southern half.  If you contact me, marlenecpm@frontier.com. And let me know where in SE OH you are, and what your EDD is, I will give you names of who's closest to you. I plan on being at the homebirth meet up at Full Circle Yoga in Vienna ,WV this Thurs eve. If you come, we can connect then.

Marlene

#7 of 9 Old 07-12-2011, 12:26 PM

Ok the one I went with is underground, and it was symbolic because she delivered me 30 years ago and is a nurse, above all the fit was really good. That being said, when I looked 3 years ago I could only find 2, Marlene (I believe we met?) and Angie who was far away. In the middle of my pregnancy Delphine came into town, she attended my friends home birth. I really wanted a CPM. I am well connected and I didn't hink it was easy to find a midwife when I was looking, maybe it was a bad time...

Sandra I believe you delivered many of my friends (late 70s 80s far/sunflower/current) but you were gone when I was pregnant. Things change quickly, I am really excited about the option of a hospital midwife combo, it is real progress.

#8 of 9 Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, this thread woke up!

Thanks for the links. I will look through them when I'm off work. I had a hard time finding anyone, asked around and got a few names but I worry about anyone far away since my last labor was so fast. Randomly, the OB practice told me half a dozen names of midwives thinking I would like them better than the OB practice.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#9 of 9 Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 AM

By the way, since you guys got so defensive about this. By underground I mean they are nurses, have practiced midwifery for years, in my case over 30 (This is more experience than most CNMs left in the Athens who have who do have present day certification to comply with current laws) and have nursing jobs elsewhere that would be compromised if they were found to be doing home births. Lets face it the education you need to be a CPM didn't exist 35 years ago, and to go back to do it now takes time and money. For me I chose over personal fit with my midwife and experience.

That's what I meant by underground, not someone just doing it illegally with no real medical credentials.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page