Moving to Detroit area! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there!  I was a member of these forums long ago - so long I have lost my info and had to create a new username!

I'm Amy, mother to three boys aged 4, 8 and 11.  I was a crunchy homeschooling, breastfeeding, babywearing, etc.-er until about 3 years ago when my husband suddenly left me and I had to figure out new ways to do things while still keeping family first.

I have recently been honored with acceptance in the 2011 Teach for America Corps and will be moving from the Columbus, Ohio area to the Detroit, Michigan area.  First thing I did was get on Greatschools.net and have pretty much decided on trying to live in Royal Oaks or surrounding area for the highly-rated Berkeley schools, but would welcome any input you have on this matter.  As someone who formerly had the utmost control over her children's every minute educational adventure, excellent schools are high on my list of musts.

I am also realizing there are so many things I don't know, and I have very little time to research any of it.  I am trying to financially keep my head above water until I start my new teaching job with the Corps in the fall.  At the same time, I have many things to do to prepare for my new job, I have to pack and move a household, and still mother my children!  All pretty much by myself.  So it's almost impossible for me to figure out when I'll research all the things I'll need to know for my family when I get there. 

If any one has any quick resources for me on vaccine law in Michigan it would be greatly appreciated.  My children are not vaccinated and they are still permitted to attend school in Ohio.  I need to know pretty quickly if this is something I will need to address in some way.

I would love names of favorite pediatricians, dentists, orthodontists, the *place to be* for behavioral health issues in kiddos {sigh}, great places to go for inexpensive sports and music for kids (right now I have one pretty devoted violinist and another little guy very into Tae Kwon Do and Soccer but we've been doing sports at the local rec center so it's pretty inexpensive).  Also, I have a kiddo that will need to go to preschool and I need some quick info if possible about private options versus the options in the school system.

Finally, I would love to feel plugged in and make friends in the area, but I realize how hard that will be what with working full-time.  I currently go to a Vineyard church and while I'm not set on that "denomination" something grace-based and fellowship-based would be good if anyone has suggestions.  I don't any longer breastfeed so I don't intend to do La Leche League, I don't any longer homeschool so homeschool groups are out, and I know most "crunchy" types are probably gathering mostly during the day, when I'll be working.  So any suggestions for single, working-mom meetups or other ways to make friends/plug in to the community would be a big help.

I'm also sure there's tons you could share that I forgot to ask about :)

I know I'm asking a lot and I don't mean to assume you all can just do all my research for me LOL.  But I figured there were lots of bright women here who might have some answers to some of these questions right on the tip of their tongues ;)

#2 of 9 Old 04-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Fay

Berkley schools are great and have a good reputation for working well with special-needs children.  

Michigan offers a vaccine waiver if you have a "philosophical" objection.  I've never had a problem with the waiver.  When you register for school, just ask for the waiver.  

The Holistic Moms Network - Metro Detroit Chapter has an evening meeting once/month.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#3 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 12:18 PM

Berkley schools are great.  Berkley is also an affordable place to find a house.

Royal Oak is a little more expensive for housing and also has good schools.

Ferndale is very affordable for housing, but the schools aren't great.

********** is much more expensive, has what are considered the best schools, is not crunchy.

They are all schools of choice, so you can register for Berkley schools and live in Ferndale, though you would not have busing options.

There is an organization called mops.org that has evening meetings at a local church.  They are not specifically crunchy, but it is a good support system with a diversity of moms.

All of the cities have pretty good rec programs and there are also two large YMCA locations- one in Royal Oak and one in **********.

There are a lot of private preschools.  I am currently researching that for my daughter, but I have not decided on one yet.

Good luck!

Meghan, Married to Scott, Mother to Audrey- 2, and Expecting Nov 10th
#4 of 9 Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Fay, thanks!  That's such a load off my mind about vaccines.  One less thing not to have to worry about is awesome!  I'll check out the mom's group when I get there. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post

Berkley schools are great and have a good reputation for working well with special-needs children.  

Michigan offers a vaccine waiver if you have a "philosophical" objection.  I've never had a problem with the waiver.  When you register for school, just ask for the waiver.  

The Holistic Moms Network - Metro Detroit Chapter has an evening meeting once/month.

#5 of 9 Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Meghan awesome info!  Thank you so much.  Every little bit of knowledge I have will help as I try to get us settled in this August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambom View Post

Berkley schools are great.  Berkley is also an affordable place to find a house.

Royal Oak is a little more expensive for housing and also has good schools.

Ferndale is very affordable for housing, but the schools aren't great.

********** is much more expensive, has what are considered the best schools, is not crunchy.

They are all schools of choice, so you can register for Berkley schools and live in Ferndale, though you would not have busing options.

There is an organization called mops.org that has evening meetings at a local church.  They are not specifically crunchy, but it is a good support system with a diversity of moms.

All of the cities have pretty good rec programs and there are also two large YMCA locations- one in Royal Oak and one in **********.

There are a lot of private preschools.  I am currently researching that for my daughter, but I have not decided on one yet.

Good luck!

#6 of 9 Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Hiya!  Coming to the Detroit area caught my eye.  Did you choose a city to move to, yet?  Berkley area is a little far north of me, but if you ended up closer to "downriver", I could give you some resources.

#7 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Hi! 

I did end up in Berkley.  My kiddos go to

Anderson MS

Angell Elem.

Huntington Woods Christian Preschool

I could REALLY use recommendations for a doctor or pediatrician.  I need a doctor for myself (I used a D.O. in Columbus area but am not opposed to an M.D.)  -  and I need to use either the same G.P. or find a pediatrician for the kiddos.  I'm not too worried about location but somewhere close to home would be nice (not strictly necessary).

I live in Berkley and my work is close to Wayne State University - I guess I'm in midtown - I'm very close to where I75 and I94 intersect.  I'm teaching middle school math in a charter school there.

Also, while priority #1 is doctors (we have meds we need to make sure don't get interrupted) I also need to find soccer and ESPECIALLY Tae Kwon Do for the middle child.  He does SO much better when he's doing his Tae Kwon Do but all I seem to be able to find around home is karate, which I believe is different, if I'm not mistaken.  Anyone have any referrals for any of these physical-type things for my ADD-afflicted young man?  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnwiley View Post

Hiya!  Coming to the Detroit area caught my eye.  Did you choose a city to move to, yet?  Berkley area is a little far north of me, but if you ended up closer to "downriver", I could give you some resources.

#8 of 9 Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 PM

we use pediatric consultants of troy located in troy beaumont hospital.  i love that office!!!  we selective/delay vaccination and our doctor leaves the final decision up to me.  we never get harassed about it.  they also have late hours and hours on the weekends.  i cant think of anything to complain about.  the entire staff has been wonderful.

Janette - Mama to Adrianna born 2.27.07 and expecting another 2.17.11
#9 of 9 Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 AM

How are you finding the Huntington Woods Christian Preschool?  I'm moving to the area this summer, and am already checking out preschools.  I've pretty much settled on Ferndale Montessori as our first choice, but it is competitive and I know we may not get a slot.  I'd love to have more options and to hear how you're liking the preschool that you ended up choosing.  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page