Dayton - Experiences with Lifestages Midwives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying to decide between a home birth, Family Beginnings with Dr Guy / midwives, or Good Sam with Lifestages midwives for my baby (#5) due in October.

I have seen several positive mentions of the Lifestages midwives, but nothing very specific. I was wondering if anyone with specific experience delivering with them would give me a thumbs up or a thumbs down. If anyone has delivered both at Good Sam with Lifestages and at Family Beginnings and could sort of compare the experiences and give a preference, that would be great too.

I think I may prefer the midwives at Lifestages, but I am concerned about delivering in a standard hospital setting. Although, I know that your care provider can "overrule" a lot of standard procedures at times.

At the same time, I have delivered at Fam Beg before, and I dislike the boatload of hoops you have to jump through and qualifications you have to meet to deliver there (though I don't have any problem actually meeting their qualifications), and I really dislike the way the whole pediatrician thing works there. I'd pretty much be stuck there for 48 hours, I think, due to pediatrician policies. But, not sure that I could leave Good Sam before 48 hours either?

Any input is greatly appreciated. TIA, mamas!

fly-by-nursing2.gif~Amy, Wife to E, Happy Momma to K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, and J 10/11

#2 of 4 Old 04-18-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klemomma View Post

At the same time, I have delivered at Fam Beg before, and I dislike the boatload of hoops you have to jump through and qualifications you have to meet to deliver there (though I don't have any problem actually meeting their qualifications), and I really dislike the way the whole pediatrician thing works there. I'd pretty much be stuck there for 48 hours, I think, due to pediatrician policies. 

I did not deliver at FB, and I still early released from MVH at 25 hours. So I know it is possible. I do not use staff peds, though.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#3 of 4 Old 04-18-2011, 06:34 PM

I delivered just shy of a year ago at Good Sam Hospital.  Generally, they use the On Call Peds from Children's, (your Ped contracts out with them for this service).  It is possible to get an early release from Good Sam, you just need to know what you need to do in advance.  I was a VBAC and got early release within 24 hours (due to large baby - 11 lbs 1 oz - they wanted to monitor for blood glucose on baby and possible hemorage on me).  You will need to contact your Ped right after birth and get a post discharge appointment set up (like for 2 days after discharge).  Also, let the nurses know in advance you want early discharge and they may not move you out of L&D area - which will push to get you out early.  Also, let the Ped at the hospital know you want early discharge, that you have an appt on XYZ day with your Ped.

My experience was not that bad.  I basically got left alone after birth - I had not planned on birthing there.  Was a planned home birth that ended up transferring in via ambulance and almost delivering in the ambulance.  So, I was stuck with the on-call doc for L&D, and they approved early discharge.  Only a few negatives happened, but most of those were the result of being at a hospital I didn't have an OB at...so your OB/Midwife will do things differently.

As for which way to go..I have heard good and bad things about all  those involved...I would highly recommend you check out the VBAC Board and read a recent story of a birth at MVH using Midwifes..but again, that is not a typical experience.  Like I said, I know lots of people who can tell you horror stories about either of your choices and lots of people who can give you nothing but praise for either of your choices.

#4 of 4 Old 04-19-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, mamas!

Khaostat - I had heard a bit of that MVH story but didn't know all the details - I went and dug it up and read the whole horrid affair. What a truly terrible experience for that mama, to say the least! Do you know which of the midwives in that group was caring for her (you could PM me)? If you can't say, I understand. I've had some negative run-ins with one of those midwives (not as my own care provider though), and I'm wondering if it was her...

It sounds like you also had some negative experiences with that group.

I've also heard of some other negative experiences with the dr. who did that surgery :-( He's the one who delivered my last DD at Fam Beg, and fortunately, all went okay for us, but I definitely don't want to end up with him again :-(

Do you have any specifics you could share about negative stories at GSH? It sounds like your experience there wasn't bad.

I really wish we had a freestanding birth center run by some awesome CNMs - that would really be my ideal. But dreaming doesn't make that real, I guess. If I were willing to drive a few hours, I could get that, but driving 3 or so hours in labor doesn't sound warm and fuzzy to me either...

Thanks for your help!

fly-by-nursing2.gif~Amy, Wife to E, Happy Momma to K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, and J 10/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page