grass fed beef around central OH - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking to get about 1/4 cow of grass fed beef.  Where do you get yours and roughly how much is it?  Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 05-17-2011, 11:28 AM

I've just been researching this. If you go to Eat Wild, you can find a lot of local beef farms. I haven't purchased yet but am working with 2 different farmers right now. Pricing varies quite a bit, and you need to make sure whether the price includes processing or not. Some farms quote inclusive per lb while others quote beef only and then you have an additional processing fee.  So far I'm finding that it's in the mid-$3 range per lb of hanging weight once you factor in processing. HTH!  

Once I make a decision, I can pass on who we've used.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 AM

lurk.gif

#4 of 6 Old 05-24-2011, 06:21 AM

You could check out Flying J Farm....

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#5 of 6 Old 05-24-2011, 05:24 PM

We are getting  half from Fox Hollow Farm, very easy to work with and reasonably priced. Our 2nd choice was Beech Meadow

These farms seemed to fit our requirements well, though those requirements may not have been as strict as some. The former may still have 1/4 left with a 5/31 butcher date in case you are interested. There were others, but these two were appropriately timed. There seem to be a lot of farms within reasonable driving distance of Columbus.

Good luck! We're probably going to be getting pork come fall as well.  I love stocking the freezer!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#6 of 6 Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

In case anybody is still looking, we ended up finding Harley's Family Farm at a farmers market.  There were the cheapest at $1.65/lb hanging weight plus actual cost of processing (our was $106 for a quarter).  Fox Hollow (thanks PinkBunch!) was our second choice.  Harley's farm is in Circleville and the butcher is in Pleasantville.  They are exclusively grass fed, and the T-bone and round steaks that we've cooked up have been delicious.  

Another thing that I learned is that when you do a split half, you don't have many choices for cuts.  It generally needs to be cut about the same way to divide it evenly between two people.  If I could allocate enough room in my freezer I would probably try a half next time so I could get a brisket. 

Contact is Lisa Coombs at 740-412-0082.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page