The WIC office advised my friend to get an attorney - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-19-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cross posted in Lactivism

In regards to us being harassed by a Krogers manager, in Dayton/Kettering OH, for breastfeeding while shopping for grocerys. She is low income of course, and she doesn't really know where to start to find one, any suggestions?

Also does anyone have any advice or suggestions on if we should hold a nurse in and if so how about should we do it?

#2 of 6 Old 05-19-2011, 11:15 AM

bump

#3 of 6 Old 05-19-2011, 03:11 PM

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm is what came up when I Googled "how to find a pro bono attorney"

#4 of 6 Old 05-20-2011, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Please Come Join Our Peaceful Nurse In!!!!!
Where: KROGER
             2115 E Dorothy Ln
             Kettering, OH 45420
When: June 1, 2011
            3:00pm-6:00pm
We are not boycotting Kroger so feel free to shop for grocery's while nursing or while you wait in the check out line, this is also not a protest so no need for signs or shouting.

#5 of 6 Old 05-21-2011, 04:47 PM

Sorry, I think you will find right now that because Kroger's has responded appropriately, that not many are going to be willing to participate in this nurse in.  Nurse ins are typically reserved for when the company has not responded in an acceptable manner (ie not admitting their wrong doing in the situation, or claiming that they were correct in how they handled the situation).

I have had this happen to me twice in recent years, even after the law was put into effect.  One at a local resort, and I came here for advice.  I contacted corporate, thanks to information I got from someone on who to specifically contact.  They were willing to take suggestions on how to improve things and also on how to make nursing moms more aware of private places to go nurse that they have available.

Second one happened a few weeks ago.  I was at a play date with Le Leche League, and was asked to be more modest at a local eating place (with a kids play area in it).  The LLL Leader contacted the owner (as they were acquainted with each other) and let them know what happened.  Again, there was an apology given to the Leader for what happened and they talked with their employees about the companies position on the subject, which was along the lines of LLL.

There are better ways to educate and inform than always having a nurse in.  Many times it can be resolved internally with corporate.  If we are constantly calling nurse ins when corporate responds in the right way, then it only hurts our cause, not helps our cause.  

The poor mother who had the problems with Fairfield Commons Mall got all sorts of negative attention for this, and that was just 3 months ago.  In that case, the Mall did not properly handle the incident nor were they willing to admit so after the fact.  Hence the reason for the nurse in.

Additionally, under Ohio's Law, you cannot sue the company for the violation of her Civil Rights.  It must first be handled through the Ohio Civil Rights Commission.  There are no provisions under the Law for an individual lawsuit at this time.

#6 of 6 Old 05-23-2011, 12:14 PM

If Kroger responded appropriately, isn't it good to get them more business by encouraging a lot of nursing mamas to show up and do some shopping?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page