Anyone familiar with Marisol Holman of Home4Birth Indiana - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Marisol Holman of Home4Birth in Anderson/Noblesville, IN.  I know this practice was involved in a lawsuit a while back, but other than that, I cant fine much info. 

Please share your experiences if you have some.  Also, I know this is a Christian practice.  How does this impact their midwifery services?

Also, we are a lesbian couple, and I am wondering how this could impact our patient/MW relationship. Please respond or PM. thanks!

Two semi-crunchy mommas in Indy taking every day as it comes!  Baby #1 born 1/14/12 at home!

winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gif

#2 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 PM

Marisol Holman was one of my midwives 2 1/2 years ago when my daughter was born.  She now has her own practice and is not with Home4birth any longer.  Her new practice is called Sol Midwifery.  I highly recommend Marisol!  She is a wonderful person all around.  Her religious beliefs are not forced upon you in any way.  I definitely felt an immediate connection with her as she speaks Spanish as well and my husband is from El Salvador.  Her cultural background made me feel even more comfortable with her.  I don't see you being a lesbian couple affecting anything, but I can't make the call on that one.  I've always known Marisol to be extremely open to all walks of life. She even helped my husband and I when we were experiencing relationship struggles during my pregnancy.  

I hope all this helps.  Again, I highly recommend you at least give her a call and see if it's a good fit! I will definitely call her if I ever decide to have another baby!  

#3 of 15 Old 06-11-2011, 11:22 PM

I have been looking at midwives in the area and neither Brandi Wood nor Marisol Holman appear to be licensed in Indiana. 

This is the site I checked: 

https://mylicense.in.gov/eVerification/Search.aspx

#4 of 15 Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 PM

Marisol is wonderful. She is both caring and skilled. As far as other questions, she can certainly answer better for herself if you do choose to call/interview.

#5 of 15 Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 AM

Although I've met Marisol I've never worked with her so I can't really answer your questions.  She attends meetings of the indiana homebirth support group so you could meet her there along with other homebirth mamas.

If you want to find more homebirth midwives you could contact the Indiana Midwives Association and have them give you the information for some in your area.  There are many midwives around Indiana but most of them do not advertise so it is hard to find them.  I think it's always best to meet several midwives and go with who you connect with the best!

Good Luck!

Urban homesteader married to my high school sweetheart, mama to V(4/07) and H(6/10)

knit.gifblogging.jpghomeschool.gif   chicken3.gif

#6 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 12:11 PM

um, that's because there is no licensing available in indiana for any midwife.

luvmi2kids likes this.

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#7 of 15 Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 AM

That's incorrect. It is possible to get a license to practice midwifery in Indiana. There are a lot of them in Indiana. If you check the link I gave you will find four pages of them. The requirement here in Indiana that a midwife be a licensed is not arbitrary and I personally am much more comfortable with a midwife who is practicing legally and thus has the formal education required to do so. 

This is from the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency's website:

Information Pertaining To Nurse Midwives

According to 848 IAC 3-1-1, Certified Nurse Midwife means a registered nurse who has graduated from a nationally accredited school of midwifery, has passed the National Certifying Examination given by the American College of Nurse-Midwives, and is licensed by the board to practice as a nurse-midwife.

To apply to practice midwifery in the State of Indiana, submit the completed application for limited licensure to the Indiana State Board of Nursing at 402 West Washington Street, Room W072, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204.

For questions regarding licensure, you can write us at the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency, call us at (317) 234-2043, or contact us via e-mail at pla2@pla.IN.gov.

http://www.in.gov/pla/2504.htm

#8 of 15 Old 09-21-2011, 04:12 PM

That is only for nurse midwives.  Licensure is not available for CPMs or any direct entry midwife in the state of Indiana.

#9 of 15 Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 PM

That's true, and I'm completely comfortable with that. There are several here in IN that practice as CPMs and as I said before, I personally am much more comfortable with a midwife who has gone the nurse midwife route. I'm sure there are great CPMs and DEMs, but medical practice is regulated for a reason and I fully support the way it's done in IN. 

Regardless of personal opinion, your statement: 

Quote:
um, that's because there is no licensing available in indiana for any midwife.

is still untrue. I have heard this on numerous occasions, and feel that it misleads women into thinking that they should or will have to settle for a DEM or CPM when there are midwives out there who are guaranteed to be fully qualified with the proper education to support any circumstance that may come up in birth( due to their medical background). I would never see a Dr who didn't have a formal education and has just learned on the fly. I feel the same about the birth of my child. 

#10 of 15 Old 09-24-2011, 12:54 PM

Kristie, that was MY statement, and I neglected to note CNM's. If you are not a CNM then licensing for any other midwife is not available. Your suggestion or implication that non nurse midwives are somehow un or underqualified might be viewed as highly offensive to many mothers here. As the topic of the thread is Marisol, to my knowledge she is a CPM and that is why you will not find a licence for her.

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#11 of 15 Old 09-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessKristie View Post

That's true, and I'm completely comfortable with that. There are several here in IN that practice as CPMs and as I said before, I personally am much more comfortable with a midwife who has gone the nurse midwife route. I'm sure there are great CPMs and DEMs, but medical practice is regulated for a reason and I fully support the way it's done in IN. 

Regardless of personal opinion, your statement: 

is still untrue. I have heard this on numerous occasions, and feel that it misleads women into thinking that they should or will have to settle for a DEM or CPM when there are midwives out there who are guaranteed to be fully qualified with the proper education to support any circumstance that may come up in birth( due to their medical background). I would never see a Dr who didn't have a formal education and has just learned on the fly. I feel the same about the birth of my child. 

It is strictly politics that keep CPMs unlicensed in this state, it has nothing to do with training.  There are many states that do license CPMs, Indiana is just behind the times.

~Sandy
mommy to Joey 11, Ian 9, Hayden 7 and Charlie 3

#12 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 05:26 PM

It's not my intention to offend anyone, and I'm sorry if my opinions do offend anyone. It's just my opinion and personal preference and I feel that women have a right to know that there is a legal option here in IN. For years all I heard was that there are no legal midwives here in the state of IN. It wasn't until I looked into it that I discovered otherwise. I like the way it's done, but as I said I'm sure there are many great CPMs out there. 

Sorry for the mis-quote fairydoula.

#13 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 05:40 AM

Coming to this possibly too late to help OP -- but will still reply for others:

Marisol is absolutely lovely. 
I met her during my last pregnancy, before she joined the H4B team. 
I was honored to be present at a friend's birth she attended and was quite impressed by her quiet spirit and professionalism. 
I would not hesitate to recommend her to anyone.

Maryhippie.gif

#14 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessKristie View Post

It's not my intention to offend anyone, and I'm sorry if my opinions do offend anyone. It's just my opinion and personal preference and I feel that women have a right to know that there is a legal option here in IN. For years all I heard was that there are no legal midwives here in the state of IN. It wasn't until I looked into it that I discovered otherwise. I like the way it's done, but as I said I'm sure there are many great CPMs out there. 

Sorry for the mis-quote fairydoula.

no worries. I appreciate what you're saying. Many moms don't know or don't understand that CNM's can and do attend OOH births. I apologize again for not having noted that in my original post. As it was about Marisol and she's a CPM, I left out a large part of the homebirth attendants.

It was just a heads-up about the vibe around here as far as noting about how your comments might be offensive..... I agree that women need to know their options and that CNM's are occasionally available for OOH birth. Unfortunately, often their insurance or hospital priv. will be revoked or limited or premiums will go sky high if they attend OOH birth, so many CNM's choose not to.

I am learning more and more about CPM's and DEM's and I am coming to the conclusion that MANY of them, not all, are undertrained in one or more areas of midwifery and/or care of the mother and or baby in labor or afterwards. It's unfortunate and licensing is not necessarily changing this. Often (in my opinion, only) the licensing requirements are minimal and often consist of needing a CPM and CPR.  California is slightly more demanding, but not much.  I think this is in some cases, dangerous to the mother, baby or both.  I know this is a highly unpopular view/opinion, but it is also truth. Many women have been hurt, or babies hurt or even died because the midwives serving them, with all good intentions, did not have enough skill or experience or both to recognize complications or problems.

#15 of 15 Old 11-22-2011, 07:07 PM

Just stumbled on this thread and thought I would add to it, for others who may be looking later.

Marisol was our midwife and we love her. Not only is she thorough and competent in her care, she is a warm and compassionate person who clearly loves her clients and what she does. Her experience, kindness and professionalism make her an awesome midwife - I would recommend her to anyone!

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page