Moving back to Oberlin, OH - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-16-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So how is homeschooling in Ohio?  Where we are now things are very lax.  No reporting required.  We're an unschooling family with young kids, though the oldest is school-age now.  

Would love to meet other AP/homeschooling families in the Cleveland metro area.  Ours are moving away from close friends and would like to find new ones soon.  Thanks!

SAHM to three homebirth babies - ages 6, 4 and 4 months

#2 of 6 Old 06-17-2011, 04:36 PM

hi bandyr,     I'm south of you a bit (1.5+ hr drive) and am just responding as a longtime Ohio home educator.  Ohio is wonderful for families in regard to home school law.   I'm sure there are many families to connect closer to you.... but if you get in my neck of the woods, you are welcome to visit.  

San Hess

Heartland Midwifery

Fresno, Ohio

#3 of 6 Old 06-17-2011, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  You're a midwife?  Do you ever catch babies at home?  When we lived there a few years ago, it seemed hard to do homebirth.  So we decided to have another before moving back :)  

Glad to hear positive things about homeschooling!

#4 of 6 Old 06-21-2011, 03:31 PM

Yes, I am a midwife and have provided a midwifery service to homebirth families for a great many years....so, yes,  I do catch babies at home.  Also at birth center.    ~~  I just have to say,  I think it is a delight when mother or father catch their justborn (I am there with them as they wish).   Some do not want to catch (and that is fine too),  but some do : )   and some think they don't - but decide to -   and are glad very glad they did.    Most of Ohio through all the years has been very good with homebirth midwifery, not perfect, but very good., including today.    Sorry you experienced a 'hinderant' factor in your plans.  

Did you find some homeschool families/homeschool group in your area to connect with?  I hope your children (and you) find right off some great friends -  

Yeah, I really like Ohio's homeschool law.  

San Hess

Heartland Midwifery

Fresno, Ohio  

#5 of 6 Old 06-26-2011, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Hello!  I tried to respond to this thread a few weeks ago, but was unable to for some odd reason.  Just thought of you today and wanted to let you know that I am part of a great home school group in Lorain county, Ohio called Northcoast Family Educators.  You can find us in Yahoo groups. 

The group is very active (2 formal activities/month during the school year, weekly park days during the summer, camping trips, art classes, a scout group in the works, etc.) and contains a very wide range of ages and home schooling philosophies (ranging from unschooling to online schooling and everywhere in between!).  The group is secular in nature.  There are quite a few AP parents in the group as well, although not all are.  :)  For privacy purposes, official membership to the group occurs when you attend your first event. 

PM me for more info! :) I am a SAHM of 2 (plus one on the way!!!)  Good Luck on the move!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#6 of 6 Old 08-20-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Great!  Just PM'd you.  :)  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page