Living in Detroit, schooling in the burbs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 07-16-2011, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are pretty sure that we are going to be moving to Detroit from a suburb 1/2 mile north of Detroit.  We are looking into some lovely, large, updated lofts close to the river front... we have many reasons why we are making this decision and everything sits well with the decision we have made except schooling the children.  I am hoping someone might have some great links to resources regarding the laws on school of choice.

First thing first... we will NOT be sending the kids to Detroit public schools.  If you are from here, and maybe not, then you know all the issues with the poor school system in the city. *sigh*  So, we are left with a couple of choices...

1. Home school (this is kind of a last resort for us, but it is a definite option)

2. Charter schools - I know nothing about them, and I will be looking for more info on how charters work.

3. School of choice - ideally this is what we would like to do.  Send the children to a public school in the suburbs. 

4. Use a family member's address so the kids can go to a public school in the suburbs that does not allow school of choice - I hate to have to be dishonest, but I WILL do it for the sake of my children's education, kwim ;)

So, does anyone live in Detroit and have any advice?  Is there anyone who can help me figure this out?  lol

Thanks so much in advance!

namaste.gif

LeeAnn

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page