Looking for a midwife who will do a HBAC in Dayton, OH - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! The hubs and I are still TTC #2 but I am looking for a midwife in Dayton, OH for a HBAC. I know its not "legal" but I REALLY don't want another hospital birth. I had preeclampsia and was induced then forced into a c-section because of fever and "failure to progress". Well that was almost 6 years ago. So if anyone could point me in the right direction I would forever be in your debt!

#2 of 6 Old 07-20-2011, 03:44 PM

HBAC Not legal? really? WOW! I tried for a homebirth my first time in Portland, Oregon (2007) after 36 hours and failure to progress I went to the hospital and labored another 8 hours ended in a C-sec. Which I was glad for because my baby was 11lbs. and 23 1/4" the cord was around her neck twice! She arrived healthy!!! Now she is a healthy, intelligent 3 1/2 y.o. weighing only 33 lbs. HA! BTW she was "failure to thrive" (whatever that means) because she plateaued at one month while all the other babies caught up with her and out weighed her, she ended up being a snacker and is to this day!

Recently....We just moved back to Ohio after 10 years in Portland (CULTURE SHOCK!!!!). I am pregnant with # 2. Gosh had no idea how oppressive Ohio was in this regard, is it true that HBVAC is illegal? That is B.S. if so. I would love to have a HBVAC but I think the best choice for the babe and I would be the hospital (likely I'll have a big babe again genetics oy vey!....I was 11lbs. too) Good luck I hope you find someone. Ohio needs to keep their laws off Women's bodies!!!! BTW when is/was your due date?

#3 of 6 Old 07-21-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yea ohio wont license midwives for homebirths. A year or 2 ago a women had a normal healthy birth at home in dayton (where I am). Baby was fine but she was losing a little to much blood so the midwife sent her to the hospital just to be safe. The mother was charged with child endangerment even though the baby was fine. Im not pregnant yet...TTC #2 still =) 

#4 of 6 Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 PM

Home birth is not actually illegal in Ohio. There is currently no licensing for direct entry midwives and in certain situations a midwife could be charged with practicing medicine without a license. But there is no law that makes having a home birth with a midwife illegal. I know of one midwife that serves the Dayton area and may be able to find the names of some more. PM me if you want more info smile.gif

Bethany ~ Mama of two wonderful boys ♥ ♥  Wife to one amazing man ♥

Massage Therapist ~ Doula ~ Student Midwife

#5 of 6 Old 07-23-2011, 04:14 PM

Yes my friend had a homebirth (in the Daytong area) as well, it was her first child though not a HBAC. Good luck I am sure you can work it out.

#6 of 6 Old 07-28-2011, 01:37 PM

Check out the East Dayton LLL meetings or Dar A Luz Network for information on birth alternatives :)  I am not sure about HBAC options, but you'll be able to dig deeper at either or both meetings.  Good luck!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page