VBAC at Family beginings in Miami Valley - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-17-2011, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone know if they allow VBACs at the Family beginings birthcenter? I would rather do a home birth but will need more options if I cant find a midwife to do one.

#2 of 10 Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 AM

I'm not sure, but I don't think they do, they are very selective about choosing low-risk pregnancies only to give birth there. If you have to choose a hospital, I recommend Miami Valley. I go to Dr Guy and the midwives who work out of Miami Valley and I know they do VBAC's. Even though the Miami Valley Berry Center is a hospital, it is my understanding that they are supportive of natural births, I know that they even have blow up tubs for water births so they are a good last resort if you don't find what you're looking for.

#3 of 10 Old 07-21-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

thank you!

#4 of 10 Old 07-25-2011, 10:51 PM

Family Beginings does not do VBAC.

If you want a VBAC in water, you have to use Good Sam and the Midwifes in Lifestages, as MVH only has pools and water birth in Family Beginnings.

As for the midwifes referenced in a previous post, I would check out the VBAC board here.  I believe someone posted their VBAC story there and posted regarding some problems with her VBAC turned CBAC.

As for Homebirth, I would recommend checking out some of the LLL meetings as well as Dar A Luz meetings and getting to know the people in there.  Most of them are link minded individuals and may know someone who can help, once they get to know you.

#5 of 10 Old 07-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post

Family Beginings does not do VBAC.

If you want a VBAC in water, you have to use Good Sam and the Midwifes in Lifestages, as MVH only has pools and water birth in Family Beginnings.

The first sentence is true. The second is--as of now--false :)  While Family Beginnings was closed for renovation, the staff in L&D got to experience tubs and got used to using the portable ones. I VBACd at MVH in September, and my OB (who does not deliver in Family Beginnings) okayed the use of a tub for my labor. I didn't end up using one, but I could have. And Dr. Horlacher has now delivered a couple VBACs in the water in L&D there. 

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#6 of 10 Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 PM

Dr. Guy and his group will do water births for VBAC's in MVH.  There are also some lovely homebirth midwives in your area.  Ask around at LLL meetings, API meetings, etc. to find them!  

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#7 of 10 Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post

The first sentence is true. The second is--as of now--false :)  While Family Beginnings was closed for renovation, the staff in L&D got to experience tubs and got used to using the portable ones. I VBACd at MVH in September, and my OB (who does not deliver in Family Beginnings) okayed the use of a tub for my labor. I didn't end up using one, but I could have. And Dr. Horlacher has now delivered a couple VBACs in the water in L&D there. 

Are they going to keep getting the portable/inflatable pools at MVH on the regular L&D floor.  I thought they were just using up the stock on hand.  If so, that is great, and hopefully they will keep it up and not phase it out.  It is one of the big reasons I wanted to homebirth for my VBAC...

#8 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I REALLY hope they keep using them! That would be awesome!

#9 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post

Are they going to keep getting the portable/inflatable pools at MVH on the regular L&D floor.  I thought they were just using up the stock on hand.  If so, that is great, and hopefully they will keep it up and not phase it out.  It is one of the big reasons I wanted to homebirth for my VBAC...

From everything I have heard, it's not something that is not going to end. Though I hadn't thought of them just using up the stock and then phasing it out. A lot of the docs who don't deliver in FB have gotten used to using them, and I know that Dr. Guy's and Dr. Horlacher's practices have been big proponents of using them in regular L&D. My nurse and some of the doulas I know were relaying a lot of positive stories, positive from the perspective of the providers. I too really hope it continues--in case I have another, I'd really like to at least labor in the water!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#10 of 10 Old 08-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Last I heard they planned on continuing with the blow up tubs on L&D.  Many of the docs are getting on board with VBAC, but Dr G and H are the only 2 I know of who have done water VBAC. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page