Homebirth CNM Canton area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am preparing for another pregnancy and want another homebirth. I will not be using the midwife I used previously, so need to find a new one. Mp preference is for a CNM, but if there is another midwife in the Akron/Canton area who comes highly recommended, I would be interested in contacting her. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 PM

Can you tell us who you used last time, or at least her initials?  That way I won't recommend her if you don't want her again :)

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

Old 09-02-2011, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I didn't think CNM's can do home births in Ohio.  

Old 09-02-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

I didn't think CNM's can do home births in Ohio.  

That is correct.  It is illegal in Ohio.  You'll need a CPM or DEM in Ohio.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

Old 09-03-2011, 05:27 AM

CNMs CAN attend homebirths in Ohio if they have a collaborative agreement with a physician. There are a few, but not many.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

BN would be the initials. She is VERY good when it comes to deliveries. I had one baby with meconium and who got "stuck". She waited until he started turning blue, but then reached up in me and pulled him out. With the second, my water broke, but due to the "extras" (I asked my MIL to be here to help with my other children, but FIL AND my nephew and two nieces "tagged" along. I was BEYOND MAD!!!), my labor stopped. The mw was not concerned about it, and just said to call when labor started again (21hrs later, I finally had my baby, who luckily was healthy). With the next, I went to 42 weeks. The mw was sure I'd go early or on-time, as I had with my others. But I did not (despite the caster oil she advised AND the black and blue cohosh that I suggested, because she couldn't recommend anything else). She told me (after I asked her if I could finally have a biophysical done and she arranged for it) that she was leaving in a few days. She had other plans, and well, she couldn't not do them because they've been paid already. She never even suggested a back-up midwife! I had a LOT of amniotic fluid. She just told me to sit when my water broke. She never mentioned about trying to help get the head down so the cord wouldn't flow out too! Luckily, she got here and my water didn't break on its own. She just let it flow out when she broke it. Then she checked the cord and then she had me stand to get the baby down. With the fourth baby, things went smoothly. But with each pregnancy, it felt like she gave less and less consideration to me and my concerns. I had a miscarriage in July 2010. I hadn't even contacted her yet, so that wasn't an issue. Then I got pregnant in Nov. She just told me I was paranoid when I said I wasn't feeling the baby enough. But then, even when she couldn't get the heartbeat (at 20wks), she just said we could wait a week and have her back. I pushed for the ultrasound, which found that indeed my son had passed away. The doctor who prescribed the u/s got the results and wanted me to see him the very next day. He was VERY concerned about hemorrhage. (10th pregnancy, 8 live births) He wanted to immediately induce me. The mw convinced him to wait a few days. She refused to directly tell me that she wasn't comfortable with a home delivery. She just let the doctor say he would do everything, instead of letting nature take its course. She showed up a few hours after I was to be induced. As time went on, she decided she wanted to see her family. I thought she was going only for her children's karate time. But she never returned. We called and told her my contractions felt different and I thought things were progressing. Instead of hurrying back (she was 40 min away), she said to call when I was 3cm. (No one told me to expect to get to 5.) I had the nurse check me. 3. We called the mw to return. The nurse changed the pad under me and my son slid out. I was so empty in many ways. But one thing that really saddened me was my mw not being there. (And I had already paid her MOST of the charge, despite only having a few visits with her.) So those are reasons I do not wish to use her services again.

So if there are so few CNM's who do homebirths, I assume there are none in the Akron/Canton area? I have a friend who lost her baby (same mw, but she wasn't even there when the baby was born. The paramedics were there right after delivery. The mw was there for a couple hours after the birth, but said the baby seemed fine. It was a couple hours later that the baby passed.) and she is the one who suggested I REALLY should get a CNM. That was the main reason I was searching. I have NO interest in delivering in the hospital again! I've done that five of 10 times and don't like it one bit!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 AM

srexrode,  

I am a CPM  -   28 yrs. homebirth practice.  If you like, give me a call for 2 CNM practices to consider .  

330- two.three.one- 5945

San Hess,  CPM 

Heartland Midwifery

User Tag List