Field trip ideas needed for Ohio & Indiana - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-25-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been offered a midwifery apprenticeship in Oregon, so it looks like our family is going to be making the drive from upstate New York to Lebanon, Oregon this fall.

We'll be driving along I-80W for a large portion of the trip and I am looking for field trip suggestions for stops along the way.

Our children will be 11, 8, 6, and 4 when we make the trip. We've always homeschooled and I'm thinking we'll treat this like the biggest homeschool field trip we've ever had.

What can you suggest that's close to the highway that we shouldn't miss?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#2 of 6 Old 09-25-2011, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cleveland Museum of Natural History, the Cleveland Botanical Garden, McKinely Museum, Schoenbrunn Village, Great Lakes Science Center, Zoar Village......some of these are a little way off of I-80, but they're all pretty cool for kids to see.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#3 of 6 Old 10-02-2011, 07:25 PM

If you are close to Sandusky and Lake Erie area..

1) Cedar Point

2) There is a Wildlife Zoo that you drive through in your car.

3) The Merry Go Round Museum (sorry spelling sucks tonight)

4) Lighthouses Galore in the area.

I know Cedar Point had over the summer a Paddle Wheel Boat Excursion around the Lake on the outside of the Park.  I think it was like $8 per person.

In Toledo there might also be a Science Museum.  

In Iowa (I know you didn't ask here), but you will be going through the Quad Cities..and I recommend stopping by Rock Island, John Deere, I think it is Scott County Community Park used to have a Little House set up (not sure if that is the right place or not)...

The village of East Davenport...

Melissa S.

#4 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.  Imagine walking up a 100' sand dune.    The National Park holdings are a bit scattered (some are quite a drive from the others) and vary from wetlands to tallgrass prairie.  You can also walk around historic buildings, hike in the wetlands, and walk along the lakeshore.  You can drive past a few homes from the 1933 Chicago World's Fair, too.  And I think there's even a heron rookery.  

There are a whole bunch of transportation-related museums in northern Indiana--cars, trains, etc.  I haven't visited any of them, but I'm sure they're worth a visit for older children.  South Bend has the Studebaker Museum and there are a bunch of different museums over by Auburn, IN.

If you find yourself jumping off the highway near Goshen, IN, the downtown has a couple old soda shops (the Olympia is my favorite).  And they have this:

http://lincolnhighwaygoshen.blogspot.com/2008/12/goshen-police-booth.html

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#5 of 6 Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 PM

I live quite a bit south of I-80, so I'm not sure exactly what's around there, but when a friend visited with her son from Belgium, I took them to see Amish country.  I think it is an interesting and educational cultural experience. I did a quick google search and I believe you will be going through some Amish areas. 

#6 of 6 Old 10-19-2011, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Amish country is about an hour south of cleveland (I-80).

Cleveland is home to some great museums (Search University Circle).  Downtown has the 'rock n roll' hall of fame and the great lakes science center.  Both can be done the same day.  There is also a military ship on display near these 2 things.

You should also hit Chicago- man I could spend years exploring chicago....

I know this is an old post.. have you left yet... how are things going?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page