Talking to me about Detroit - considering a move there. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-07-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm currently in South Texas, but used to live in the UP so not totally unfamiliar with MI. 

We are considering a move to Detroit {I'm open to other locations too if you know any that sound like they might fit} for financial reasons - mainly that we can buy a cheap house there free and clear with the budget {under $10k} we have to work with. So - what parts of town are good and bad? We home school so school's don't matter as much if the neighborhood is decent. Neighborhood doesn't have to be the greatest but not terrible either. We live in a semi-okay neighborhood now - i.e. you stay in after dark if you can and watch what's going on but you don't have to live in terror of being robbed all the time either. I'd like to find something similar or better if possible and in my budget. I rely on city bus here as I can't drive - is the bus system decent in the city?

How much does it run to heat a house in winter and for other utilities? How hard is it to get assistance {food stamps, medicaid, etc}? Is there a waiting period before you can get assistance when you move into the state? 

We'll also be looking for a no-vax friendly medicaid accepting doc for both myself and my daughter. 

Thanks for answering my questions!

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#2 of 4 Old 10-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not much help, but there are some beautiful homes in Detroit!  I'd love to move there, but too chicken.  GL and I hope you find exactly what you're looking for!  :)

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#3 of 4 Old 10-11-2011, 04:35 PM

My sister lives on Fourth Street and Antionette, takes the bus out to see us and work 5 days per week in Mt Clemens (we are about a half an hour north) and absolutely loves it there.  I'm not sure I can give you much more help than that, but we homeschool also and you can PM me if you need any guidance in that area when you come :)

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#4 of 4 Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 AM

hey, my first post on mothering.com...

i have lived in detroit for 4 years... two different neighborhoods.  i highly suggest Southwest Detroit.  there are loads of children in southwest, mostly spanish-speaking and many of the parents are undocumented.  but i will warn you, cheap houses always need plenty of work.  a friend down the street bought one for $11K and in the first six months had to replace the roof, put in all the radiators (had been stripped), and many homes are missing boilers.  insurance companies won't always insure you here without upgrades to the roof and it's difficult to convince the city to lower your taxes... they base the tax rate often on the cost of the house when sold a few years ago (which could be $100K down to $10K today). 

life can be great here, but it's also full of difficulties that you don't face in other cities.  there are many opportunities, but there is also plenty of violence in any neighborhood (mine is great! and there are regular murders of sex workers and robberies in the middle of the afternoon... car theft, awful car insurance rates...).  i am very close to my neighbors; i called some when i miscarried and they stayed with me for hours when my partner wasn't available.  i don't think i'd have that if i was in a different city, we depend on each other more here. 

public transit is OK.  biking is GREAT!  buses are not regular and take hours when the drive could be 15 minutes in a car.  my partner and i share a car, i use it 1 day per week and bike/walk everywhere else.  neighbors are often willing to lend cars or let you know when they run out to a different neighborhood with grocers or markets. 

so, i don't know what else to say... great resources for urban gardening... awesome farmers markets year-round... friendly neighbors... but also your kids will see sex workers regularly, ads for strip clubs, pot and drinking on the street, homeless folks all over the place.  i'm ok with that, but i know a lot of folks are not. 

you'll want to get really involved if you move here... i help out at a soup kitchen, garden with neighbors, walk to work and greet folks that i meet... but it's not always happy and comfortable. 

that's my take, others may say otherwise -- like NY Times articles only interviewing entreprenuers.  it's no hipster paradise like a lot of folks make it out to be.  i wouldn't want it to be... the midtown neighborhood is getting to be that way and there are regular conflicts with street folk and hipsters... art theft, vandalism... but there is not enough respect on both ends.  street folk are residents of Detroit too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page