Best Turkey Near Dayton... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-02-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi folks!  We are going to my in-laws in Dayton for Thanksgiving (driving I-70 thru PA).    I know we can get a nice turkey from Dorthy Lane but I would love even more to support a local farm, especially where I know they were really raised free range, organically fed, nor hormones, etc.   Anyone have an opinion on where the best place to order one from would be?  TIA!  eat.gif

#2 of 7 Old 11-03-2011, 07:00 PM

http://www.bowmanlandes.com/content.asp?id=44

#3 of 7 Old 11-04-2011, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying khaoskat! 

Looks nice but it doesn't say anyting about organic.  I know the certification is expensive, but ususally, at least here in MA, if they don't do the cert cause of cost they say they use organic feeds and growing practices...that kind of wordage.

Someone else mentioned Morning Sun Farms but I called and they have not returned my call.

Any other suggestions?   Thanks all!

#4 of 7 Old 11-05-2011, 07:32 AM

If I am correct, the DLM turkeys actually ARE Bowman-Landes turkeys. I was at the BL store this week and found out from them that the DLM brand deli meat actually is BL meat--which you can get at BL for at least $2/lb less!  

Anyway, a quick glance at www.eatwild.com got me this one that probably would be not too far off your journey. I've had good luck with Eat Wild for beef, so I recommend it: http://www.amazinggrazefarm.com/

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#5 of 7 Old 11-05-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much!  I got a call back from Dale Filbrun of Morning Sun Farms yesterday and ordered one from him.  They are pasture raised, fed organic grains they grow (and sell) on the farm, no abx or hormones...so exactly what I was looking for.  A plus (although I love going to the farm) is that he is bringing them to Centerville on Nov 23rd to distribute.  Wonder why he is not on EATWILD?  He would be a good listing for them.  Thanks everyone!  Peaceful, happy holidays!

#6 of 7 Old 11-07-2011, 05:43 AM

Under Ohio law, you cannot post anything about using organic means unless you are certified.  There is too much contention about such things.  My FIL is organic, but cannot sell his produce as organic because he is not certified.  It is basically family and friend consumption...but still.

I do believe BL raise their own feed for their animals.  

#7 of 7 Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Same here in MA but you can say you use organic growing practices and I always ask and the farmer and they usually say that means they just don't want to pay for the cert cause the product is expensive enough when you farm that way.  All the farmers around here seem pretty honest.  The ones who spray seem to always say so too...  You get to know everyone a little over time.  So, I am a bit lost in Ohio but happy with the Morning Sun option cause I guess he actually is certified cause it says all over the net he is, and even sells his grain as organic to others....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page