Any CNM that deliver out of Oakwood, Garden City or St. Mary's Livonia Hospitals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking for a CNM that delivers near the Dearborn Heights area. So far, I've only come across midwives that are available for office visits but don't actually deliver the babies. They are all in group practices with ob/gyns who have hospital privileges.

I looked into Metro Partners midwives but I am unable to birth at the ABC unit because I'm VBAC so they suggested I go with an ob/gyn affiliated with Providence Hospital instead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 PM

I have a MW that I love, and I found her because my insurance won't cover homebirth, or ABC.  My midwife works out of Hutzel Hospital.  I know it's not Dearborn, but it might be something you keep in mind.  Hutzel is the only hospital in the region that does waterbirth too (but you must be a MW patient to have that as an option).

Old 12-06-2011, 07:03 AM

If I were planning a waterbirth and a VBAC and wanted to have a hospital birth, I would go to the UofM midwives.  The new hospital that opened yesterday has a waterbirth tub as well as 8 tubs for laboring in the water.  The head of the midwifery department is trying hard to make it more possible for women to have waterbirths there.  Previously the tubs were poorly situated and small.  

They have an office in Canton, which is only about 20 minutes from the Dearborn area.  The hospital itself is about 35 minutes or so.

I love the Hutzel midwives.  They do good work.  But I've had several friends that worked in that practice and they describe delivering 9, 10 babies a day, being very rushed all the time, not being able to spend as much time with the women as they would like.  My experience at UofM has been different most of the time.  I also have had multiple experiences with the UofM midwives as a doula with VBAC and found that they were patient and encouraging and not too quick to intervene.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.

User Tag List