HI! I'm a student doulanew to the Cleveland area! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-08-2012, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone! I'm new to Cleveland and I'm hoping to start attending births soon. I'm also new to posting on MDC, although I have been reading it for quite some time. MDC is actually how I learned about homebirth and started getting really interested in birth in general.

I'm a DONA-trained birth doula, but I haven't attended my certification births yet. I would be very willing and happy to attend some births for a low cost, since I'm not certified yet.

Some stuff about me:

I'm 23 and I don't have any kids of my own yet. So I guess that means I don't have any baggage from my own births and I won't have to find childcare when clients go into labor!

I have BAs in Women's Studies and English Literature and I'm currently finishing up my MA in Women's and Gender Studies with a focus on Reproductive Justice.

I consider myself a full-spectrum doula, which means that I believe that doulas can and should support women throughout the full spectrum of pregnancy, whether women choose parenting, adoption or abortion, as well as women who experience miscarriage or stillbirth.

I'm really passionate about natural birth, but since I work in the medical field, I'm also really comfortable in operating rooms. I would say that in my academic work, my doula work and my day job, my goal is to help women parent and birth on their own terms, and to help women feel okay when things don't go as planned. So few of the women I talk to every day have had satisfying birth experiences and it just makes me want to help women to achieve the births that they want!

So, if you all or anyone you know would be interesting in having a student doula attend your birth, please message me on MDC and we can exchange emails or arrange to talk on the phone or meet up. I look forward to hanging out on MDC more, It seems like an amazing community!

Thanks so much!

#2 of 2 Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello there! I just happened to stumble into this section..I don't come to this section often (: I live in a west side suburb of Cleveland, I'm currently 40w4d pregnant (: What side of Cleveland are you on? I'm entirely poor so I can't hire you but you're definitely in the right area since we have so many hospitals and doulas are becoming VERY popular! Where did you receive your education? I fear posting where I'm giving birth on here due to some safety issues..but if you want to message me and pick my brain about the Cleveland area I'll be more than happy to help you. (:

What brought you to the Cleveland area?

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page