Indianapolis natural parenting center - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lafayette has NPEN, Bloomington has BABS, and Indianapolis between the two, with its larger population and more resources has... nothing. Not even the birth center anymore. My husband and I recently purchased the only local cloth diaper store and I would LOVE to grow it into a local all-things-natural-parenting center. We even have a community room good for small classes/groups!

Who should I connect with?

What products should I bring in?

What classes would  be good to offer?

Does something like this exist, and I just don't know about it?

I work full time (not at the store) so haven't been able to go to the various mom groups that meet around the area, since it seems they all meet at 10am on Tuesday or some other time not WOHM-friendly. So, Indy moms, what would you like to see?

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#2 of 16 Old 02-20-2012, 06:01 PM

I didn't even know Indy had a cloth diaper store! I'd love to see just about anything natural parenting. Cloth diapers esp--those are so hard to figure out online, I can't tell you how much I wished and wished I had access to seeing them in person. Listings of local doulas. Looking through the info of BABS and NPEN, just about anything offered through those organizations would be awesome to have around here. Only thing is, I'd love to see some more info for older children, not just for infants. Something like mother/father and child/ren yoga, bellydancing, crafts, etc. Does that make sense? I think all the prenatal stuff and baby stuff is extremely important, but I would like something that's going to stick with me for a longer time frame, if that makes sense. 

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#3 of 16 Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

That's a great point- having 'natural parenting' ideas for beyond the pregnancy/infant/toddler stage. Unfortunately, I'm just starting the toddler stage with my first, so I'm not sure what exactly that would look like. I like the idea of crafts. I had the idea of a class learning to make natural cleaners or body care products, that the whole family could come to. We're really tight on space, so anything active like yoga, we wouldn't have room for more than 3 or 4 people plus an instructor. :-/

Thanks so much for your ideas, Rachael! I hope you can come visit sometime!

#4 of 16 Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 AM

You aren't too far way from me... I am in Anderson IN. I would like to see a natural parenting moms group. Maybe meets a couple times a month for chatting and support.

#5 of 16 Old 02-27-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback Yarra- I've joined a couple online groups in hopes that I can get the word out the space is available, and someone will want to meet there :) Anyone with ideas, feel free to contact me!

As a start... There's going to be a babywearing meet-up at Toasty Baby this Wednesday at 6:30ish- anyone is invited and should bring the carriers they own, if they have any. This will give attendees the chance to try different types of carriers & learn how to use them. I'm excited!

#6 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 AM

Wish I'd seen this earlier! I would have loved to come to the babywearing event. My fault, really. I think I spoke with your husband at Earth Day last year but you're so far north, I sort of forgot about you. I just went over and "liked" you on fb so hopefully I'll know the next time you do something like this. I think a babywearing show and tell and swap meet would be cool. You know sometimes a carrier works well for one stage but not for another. Folks who have something they are ready to get rid of could bring those things, too, for swap or sale.

I am looking for a velcro wrap cover that will fit over my kissaluv M/Ls and OS contours. Is there anything you carry that would work?

Shellieek
Midwestern librarian, teacher and stepmom to In (1994) and Em (1997); mom to Gin (2002) and to Wren (11/2011); former LCCE and former LLL Leader

#7 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

shellieek - The babywearing event was a blast- we're considering doing it once every couple months. It ended up being just as you described - a "show and tell" of sorts, where we could try on different carriers, compare different brands, and talk about what we like/dislike about different types. You can read about the varieties, but to actually *see* a Boba, Beco, and Ergo next to each other & compare is really useful! Stay tuned on Facebook- I'll be sure to announce the next event there. (We're new owners, so you probably spoke to the previous owners at the event last year.) :) 

(Also, a Bummis cover would work for you- there are lots of cute prints and they're great covers. If you'd prefer a OS cover, we have Flips, too. If you're in the Indy area and you order online, we'll deliver free- but of course, I'd love to meet you if you came by the store :) )

#8 of 16 Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 AM

Thanks, Jo! I'll try to get up there.These M/Ls and contours have such a big weight range that I'd like to check the sizes for the Bummis. Do you carry Whisper Pants, too, or just the wraps? We use those sometimes, too. Wish you weren't so far away!

Shellieek
Midwestern librarian, teacher and stepmom to In (1994) and Em (1997); mom to Gin (2002) and to Wren (11/2011); former LCCE and former LLL Leader

#9 of 16 Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Also, I saw Nurture is thinking of being a host site for the Great Cloth Diaper Change event. Are you in on that?

Shellieek

#10 of 16 Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, we've got whisper pants, too!

Our location is too small to host the GCDC, but we're in with the group planning the event on the northwest side in Zionsville: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Great-Cloth-Diaper-Change-Indianapolis/211131972294533

#11 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 AM

I was soooo excited to see your post about a natural parenting center in Indy.  I would love to be a part of this in any way possible.  We took our birthing class at BABS and know that we are in desperate need of something like that here in Indy (can anyone say iBabs?:-) )  Anyway, I was talking to a local CMN and she was saying that a group of people were looking into buying/renting the old birth center to use for this purpose...don't know if you know anything about this.

anyway, I would love to be  apart of this in any way possible. I don't have a lot of money but do have time and passion.  I really hope this can come together

HopefulJo likes this.

Two semi-crunchy mommas in Indy taking every day as it comes!  Baby #1 born 1/14/12 at home!

winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gif

#12 of 16 Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 PM

I'm a birth doula in the Indy area.... I was trained at BABS and expressed interest in trying to start a group/center like it! I've had a really difficult time connecting with people that feel the same... I know this is an old thread, but hopefully we can connect!

#13 of 16 Old 11-16-2012, 11:36 AM

I've been to your store!! We are from near the IN, OH state line but went to your store for the CAN challenge.  Love my Cloth diapers!! I need to find time to make my way over there again.

I work full time and can never make it to mommy events because they are always during working hours.  Something in the evening or on a weekend would be great even though that takes away from family time.  It's tough working all the time.  I do wish there was more natural friendly stores/people in my area.

#14 of 16 Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 AM

So glad to see renewed interest in this thread. This keeps coming up in conversations I have had with local MWs and doulas (my guess is that we know similar people!). Would there be interest in moving this to a Facebook group so we can get a planning committee for this project really started?
I can create the group later this afternoon and will post the link here.

Two semi-crunchy mommas in Indy taking every day as it comes!  Baby #1 born 1/14/12 at home!

winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gif

#15 of 16 Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 PM

Just wanted to jump in here . . . I am a social worker/therapist interested in providing holistic care for mamas and partners all along the parenting spectrum .  . . I also have a vision for a parenting center that provides complete support for mamas and families, and I have a specific interest in the counseling piece. I am thinking this through . . . just wanted to connect in the event we all need to put our heads together to make this happen!

#16 of 16 Old 11-20-2012, 05:34 PM

(And I love Toasty Baby delivery!!!! :) )

luvmi2kids likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page