Looking for a guide through the Midwife training process - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2012, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone -

I'm located about an hour north of Columbus and (I'm guessing due to Ohio's legal status on HB, or perhaps the lack of a legal status on HB?) I'm having trouble finding information.

I would love to find a midwife that would be up for sharing some information about the process I need to undergo to become a midwife in Ohio.  Doula first? Then midwife? It's a bit confusing what is the best path to take.

I'm graduating with a BA in Psychology this quarter from OSU and I *finally* will have the time and ability to dedicate to the process.  I'm very enthusiastic and eager to begin but at a loss for how to begin.  I know that -at least- in the Psychological field, it's very important to social network.  In this field, however, I have no clue where to start.

Anyone with information would be greatly appreciated. :)

*Mandi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Mandi, if you are very technical (and states tend to get that way) then midwifery in Ohio is illegal due to obstetrics being covered by the Medical Practice Act.  That being said, you can still become a midwife but unless you become a nurse midwife (which don't practice at home in Ohio) you would have to go through the direct entry route.  So, apprenticing yourself to one of the 9 or so midwives in the state and doing your training with them and your learning through either self teaching or through a distance learning program.  I would suggest a distance learning program, since it already does the legwork of figuring out what books to study, etc.  Hope this helps.

Jennifer  

Old 04-22-2012, 12:56 AM

Hi Mandy,   At the beginning of your inquiry - you question the legality of "HB" = home birth......  it IS legal for parents to have their babies at home.       You received an out-of-state reply that is incorrect (or at least in its alluding statement-- "Mandi, if you are very technical and states tend to get that way") stating:   "midwifery in Ohio is illegal due to obstetrics being covered by the Medical Practice Act"   This is not correct.   Contact Ohio Midwives Alliance for information on this -you can find the  website online.  IF your inquiry to OMA about the legality lands you the statement that midwifery is illegal, please contact me @  three=three-0 - two - three-1 - 45-five-nine.   We are discussing domiciliary midwifery  - not nurse-midwifery.  

"I'm graduating with a BA in Psychology this quarter from OSU and I *finally* will have the time and ability to dedicate to the process.  I'm very enthusiastic and eager to begin but at a loss for how to begin"                                                                                                                 )))))) ----->>>>>  Thats great, congratulations on your BA, Mandy!    A great way to learn how to become a midwife is to access information via Midwifery Today midwiferytoday.com  there are articles and a forum, and to be in contact with Ohio midwives via OMA or otherwise.  Long before there was internet, I suceessfully sought out midwives in several states.....there is only, since that time, an increase of resources to assist such a search.  I am hopeful that comment doesnt come across as anything other than to offer much encouragement!

San Hess

Heartland Midwifery

OHIO

Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 AM

Hi Mandy,   At the beginning of your inquiry - you question the legality of "HB" = home birth......  it IS legal for parents to have their babies at home.       You received an out-of-state reply that is incorrect (or at least in its alluding statement-- "Mandi, if you are very technical and states tend to get that way") stating:   "midwifery in Ohio is illegal due to obstetrics being covered by the Medical Practice Act"   This is not correct.   Contact Ohio Midwives Alliance for information on this -you can find the  website online.  IF your inquiry to OMA about the legality lands you the statement that midwifery is illegal, please contact me @  three=three-0 - two - three-1 - 45-five-nine.   We are discussing domiciliary midwifery  - not nurse-midwifery.  

"I'm graduating with a BA in Psychology this quarter from OSU and I *finally* will have the time and ability to dedicate to the process.  I'm very enthusiastic and eager to begin but at a loss for how to begin"                                                                                                                 )))))) ----->>>>>  Thats great, congratulations on your BA, Mandy!    A great way to learn how to become a midwife is to access information via Midwifery Today midwiferytoday.com  there are articles and a forum, and to be in contact with Ohio midwives via OMA or otherwise.  Long before there was internet, I suceessfully sought out midwives in several states.....there is only, since that time, an increase of resources to assist such a search.  I am hopeful that comment doesnt come across as anything other than to offer much encouragement!

San Hess

Heartland Midwifery

OHIO

Old 04-22-2012, 12:06 PM

San Hess

Heartland Midwifery

OHIO

Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 PM

Actually, it's not incorrect.  Ohio has no laws exempting domiciliary midwifery from the Medical Practices Act, so that means midwifery falls under it's guidelines.  And it's guidelines state that no unlicensed person may provide obstetric care.  It's why some Ohio midwives have been arrested in the past and why they are open to arrest again in the future.  A lot of people in the midwifery world believe that a state can be  "alegal", meaning midwifery is not legally regulated but not prohibited so therefore it exists in a kind of alternate universe where laws don't apply to them.  Unfortunately, alegal isn't a legally recognized term and has no standing in the justice system.  A person practicing anything in any state that is covered by the Medical Practices Act can be prosecuted for practicing medicine without a license UNLESS what they are doing is specifically exempted.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Just wanted to add a little more info- Freida ****** is an Ohio midwife that was arrested for practicing medicine without a license.  I'd suggest reading From Calling to Courtroom- it's a free e-book that speaks about the legal status of midwifery and includes stories and info from midwives that have been arrested and attorney's that explain the law (in some cases, the attorneys and midwives that were previously arrested are one and the same, so they def know what they are talking about).  This isn't to discourage you from going into midwifery- I've worked in an unregulated state and lived in 2  illegal states.  I just feel all women (moms and midwives) should go into home birth with their eyes wide open.

Jennifer

Old 04-27-2012, 09:22 PM

Jennifer, thank you for mentioning Freida's case.  I also want families to have their eyes open and on the truth.     Yes, here Ohio's legal status of midwifery and also DEM/Traditional Midwife is not defined by state statute   - however, Freida's case provides an illuminating ray into the State of Ohio's interpretation of the legal status of midwifery!      The plea bargain agreement in her case allowed for an arrangement that the State of Ohio would oversee her practice for a 3 yr. probationary period - - and Freida continues to this day to serve parents through her active midwifery practice.

Wishing you success in discovery of Ohio's DEM magic and effort to share it with the public.

San Hess

Heartland Midwifery    

Fresno, OHIO!

three three 0 - 23one - 5nine4five   

Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 PM

Mandi,  

I know you're probably quite confused at this point, so I feel compelled to jump in with my two cents. Home birth is alive & well in Ohio.... fact is, from my vantage point, it's thriving!! Parents are exercising their natural right to choose traditional midwives to attend their births -- honestly, how awesome is that?!  I feel quite blessed to be back in the Buckeye state and to be able to serve mamas and babies here. 

For clarification, Freida ****** was NOT charged with practicing medicine without a license. The charge was actually Contempt of Court. I completely agree with San's statement, this case indeed *strengthens* the legal status of midwifery -- given the State dept's oversight of her practice from 2003-2006. 

I am a direct entry midwife (DEM) with the ability to sign Verification of Pregnancy and Live Birth (the form is from the State of Ohio and actually says: "Health Care Provider's License Number" -- which I fill in with a number that the State dept gave me). See:  http://vitalsupport.odh.ohio.gov/GD/Templates/Pages/ODH/ODHDetail.aspx?page=2&TopicRelationID=538  Home birth pregnancy and infant verification form I sign birth certificates for all my clients; I have been asked to offer (and perform) Newborn Screenings -- which I then send to the state laboratory; I have a National Provider ID Number, the list goes on......as you can see, our state is quite friendly and accommodating to DEMs!  I ask you, could these things exist if it were truly "illegal" to be a midwife in Ohio??

Stay encouraged, keep reading and seeking truth, and most of all, keep your eyes on SERVING MAMAS!!!

Best, Tricia

Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 AM

Jennifer, You are misinformed, San & Tricia are right. We live in OH, which has a different wording than your KY law. We don't practice "obstetrics" we practice midwifery, which is quite different!  Freida's case actually supports the fact we are legal, since during her 3 yr probation period, (& only then!) was her homebirth practice overseen by the health Dept. NO ONE in OH has gotten cease & desist orders, which would have happened if what we were doing was indeed illegal.  Midwives have only gotten in trouble  when they have crossed the line between supporting a natural body function, & practicing medicine (using rx  pit instead of herbs for example)

Yes, I too freely interact with all the local health depts. to sign & verify birth certificates & the state lab doing PKU's.  And , BTW, there are many more than 9 of us practicing freely in OH! I'd venture more like 50, homebirth midwives, not counting all the hospital midwives! AND,  for the record, there is at least 4 CNM's doing homebirths in OH, just none that I know of doing them in the Columbus area. So, while it is easier to find CPM's & DEM's for a homebirth, some CNM's do them too. 
Jennifer, no offense, but I respectfully request you to please stick to KY laws & customs, not OH since you do not have a clear picture of what is going on in our state. You too are welcome to attend OMA  meetings so  you can be more accurately informed.

Mandi, there is an OMA (Ohio Midwives Alliance) meeting coming up  Sat. May 12th 10 am to 5 pm at the CHOICE office in Columbus. You are welcome to come.  You do not have to  join to attend a meeting. It is a good place to introduce yourself to other OH midwives. You may find a preceptor there. There are also online groups you can join. One is Ohio Baby Catchers, another is Traditional Homebirth Midwifery in OH, still another is the OH Guild of Traditional Midwives. 

User Tag List