Mothering Forum banner

What do I need to know about the Dayton, Ohio area?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MAAKSMAMA 
#1 ·
Hello! My family will be moving to the Dayton Ohio area in June for 1 year. We just found out and I'm not sure where to begin. Can anyone give me a reflection on the "vibe" of the area? Regions that are family friendly, maybe even hip? Good school districts? We will likely be renting site unseen - so any feedback is REALLY helpful. So far - I'm considering kettering, purely on the basis that there is a Trader Joe's located there :)

Thanks so much.

#2 ·
Kettering is one of the decent areas, but it does have it is bad areas as well. The school district is ok.

The districts that are rated the highest, with the most parental support/dollars seems to be Oakwood, and maybe Vandalia Butler. Beavercreek has an excellent school district but seems to be having problems passing levy increases for the schools right now.

If you are looking for Montessori schools, there is one in Dayton Public, although I believe it is rated in Academic Watch or Emergency.

There are two private with a third one opening up Montessori schools. One in Beavercreek is opening up. One in Harrison Township (serves mostly North Dayton, Englewood, Clayton, Vandalia Butler), and one down I believe in Centerville which serves most of the south areas of town.

Trader Joe's can be reached with about a 20 minute drive from most of the areas listed above.

It would be helpful to know in what area of town you will be working, to give better advice as well, on where to locate...and exactly what you are looking for for activities for yourself and the kids..etc..

Birth wise....that is another story, but most people go to MVH who want low intervention/water birth/vbac, etc.

#3 ·
My husband will actually be working as a rotating physician through Miami valley Hospital just for 1 year - his first year of residency. Ideally, we would live within 15 minutes or so from there. I have a 7 year old smartie pants heading into 2nd grade, a preschool aged child and an infant.

I'm excited to hear about MVH being a good choice for mama's birthing in hospitals who are seeking minimal/no intervention. That's fairly unusual in a teaching hospital (says my husband :)

I think we just want to be in a friendly community. We've had to do a lot of moving, b/c of my husbands education and I'm familiar with how hard it is to settle into an area.

I would love it if there was a YMCA or something around for gym/swim lessons and that type of stuff.

I am a Doula and aspiring midwife, so i would love to rub elbows with like minded mama's. I was feeling a little discouraged when no one responded to this post! However, just knowing moms and being in an area where playgroups might be easier to come by or where the library story hour gets utilized would be nice.

We are moving from an area ridden with nannies - it's been pretty lonely.

#4 ·
Hey!

I am a doula as well, in Cincinnati, OH. I gave birth at MVH, because they have an in-hospital birth center called Family Beginnings that is pretty awesome, and the only place around here where you can give birth in water.

My husband is originally from Dayton, and my MIL is still up there, so we visit fairly often. I don't really know about a hip place... I think the Oregon district downtown is the "hip" place, but think bars and tattoo parlors...

Oakwood is really nice, more upscale.

Centerville is pretty, has an "old town" vibe to it.

Cincinnati has a good crunchy/birthy community. I'd be happy to connect you with the local doula group and homebirth circle (even though that's not exactly Dayton!)

Welcome to Ohio :)

Anaïs

#5 ·
Are you looking for traditional school, montessori, or home school?.

I know, in general, how much a resident gets (have a friend who is just finishing his last year at Children's before starting a fellowship in Cinci at their children's hospital), but do you have a budget of how much you are looking to spend for a place to live? Do you want an apartment or a rental home? Do you want a large/space or yard?

Is your hubby's residency through Boonshoft School of Medicine, and why will he only be here for 1 year, when it is traditionally years of residency? I am not as familiar with the residency programs at MVH, as again, my friend did his for Pediatrics through Children's, but a really good friend is one of the lab techs at the Medical School. Will he be doing anything at the actual school, or want access to their library or anything, as that may sway you towards which direction you want to live/reside.

There is a lot w/in about 15-20 mins from MVH....

As for community and your interests/training, I would personally contact Dar A Luz, and our local LLL leaders (I can point you in the direction of the ones who are up north). Dar A Luz is a place to meet a lot of like minded individuals.

#6 ·
We too are relocating to the Dayton area, but we are looking at homes in Yellow Springs. Very diverse and laid back village northeast of Dayton proper. Great schools, public and private. Lots of yoga studios, art galleries, small boutique businesses and excellent restaurants. It sits on the edge of Glen Helen, near John Bryan State Park. Check it out! And good luck to you and your family!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.