Pediatricians or GPs in Dayton for homebirth baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking for a physician in Dayton who will see my children despite the fact that my infant son was born at home. Pediatric Associates, where my other children are seen, told me they will not accept my son as a patient because he was born at home and didn't have a vitamin K shot. Any suggestions? I'm willing to travel a little ways if necessary. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 AM

Try Northwest Dayton Pediatrics or Dr. Siler with I think it is Salem Pediatrics.  I would also consider filing a formal complaint with the State Medical Board, because they cannot refuse you as a patient just because you birthed outside the hospital.  Another policy they have not told you about, is since your newest child will not be a patient of theirs they will terminate your entire family...it is an all or nothing with them.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your recommendations. I ended up taking him in to South Dayton Ped to see Dr. Suzanne Williams. She seems very supportive of breastfeeding, okay about homebirth, and willing to work with delayed vaccination/no vaccination families. She told me there are a few other homebirthers at their practice too.

I figured as much about the whole family being expelled from Pediatric Associates, but wouldn't want to go back there after I was told by the nurse they "don't wish to partner with parents who put their child at risk" the way I did by not having vitamin K administered. irked.gif

Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 PM

Some day you will have to hear my horror stories from that practice.  I went so far as to finally file a complaint against them with the State Medical Board.  Hmm..come to think of it, I have only heard the result of the complaint against one of them, not the other one I filed against as well.

Let's just say Dr. H there is not supportive or knowledgeable of breastfeeding at all....and she picked the wrong mommy to try to throw her "weight" around with....never tell a mother of 4, that something is "a little bit" of spit up, when mommy knows what that looks like vs child yanking head off while nursing and puking multiple times all over mommy, the chair, the floor, and sometimes even daddy.....and then try to blame the child's entire problem on breastfeeding.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

That is terrible! I'm glad to know, though, that we aren't the only ones to have a run in with them. Only saw Dr.. H once, saw Dr F for check ups. She was pleasant enough, though obviously not as open-minded as I'd hoped.

User Tag List