Midwives in the South Bend, IN area - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone know of any midwives that practice in the South Bend, Indiana area, specifically at St. Joe Hospital?  The practice in Mishawaka that I used with previous pregnancies has disbanded and my insurance doesn't cover the Goshen Birth Center or delivery with the Midwives at Memorial.  DH is not willing to do a home birth, so I'm looking for the best possible option.

The other option would be a naturally minded OBGYN...but those seem hard to come by in this town...

Thanks!

Mom to DD #1 9/19/04, DD#2 11/15/06 and expecting a little one 11/2/12. joy.gif

#2 of 4 Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 PM

As far as I know, there are no longer any midwives delivering at SJRMC.  You could see if your insurance covers the midwives at Fairhaven OBGYN down in Goshen, and some of them deliver down at IU Goshen.  It's a bit of a drive, but could be worth it.

Another option is to see Tonya DuGuid, who's a DO that delivers at Elkhart General.  She's pretty naturally-minded.

#3 of 4 Old 07-13-2012, 01:41 PM

If Goshen Birth Center appeals to you, it might be worth contacting them to look into billing options, if you haven't done that and ruled it out already.  They spend a lot of time working with insurance companies trying to get as much coverage as possible, and they also offer a significant discount for families who end up needing to pay cash.  I gave birth there (it was perfect) and though my insurance technically didn't cover the birth center at all, the birth center was able to get my insurer to cover most of the expenses. 

The midwives at Fairhaven OB, who run the birth center, also deliver at Goshen General Hospital, which has contracts with most of the major insurers. When I was planning my birth a few years back I visited that hospital and looked at many of their statistics, like rates of c-section, epidural, augmentation, VBAC, and successful breastfeeding upon discharge, and they were among the best I have seen. The lactation consultant told me about how pleased she was that babies born by c-section go skin-to-skin immediately upon delivery and that the newborn nursery is almost always completely vacant because no one sees any reason to take babies away from their families. Several of the nurses there are also birth assistants at Goshen Birth Center, so unmedicalized birth isn't foreign to them. If you are planning a hospital birth it might be worth giving Goshen General a look.  I know another family that had a good experience at Elkhart General, but I don't know any of the doctors who go there and I haven't visited it myself.

Good luck!

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#4 of 4 Old 07-29-2012, 10:12 PM

I delivered both of my children with Midwifery of Michiana at SJRMC; is this the group that you are familiar with? If so, I'm sad to learn they are no longer available.  From what I could find in a quick search, they're still listed at 420 W 4th St., Mishawaka 574-252-0300. Otherwise, this link may help: http://in-mishawaka.doctors.at/dr/midwifery-of-michiana-st-joseph-regional-medical-center-mishawaka.  Click on your desired city and available midwives will be listed.

Good luck in your search!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page