Toddler started blinking his eyes after moving to Cincy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, 

It is not even a month that we moved to Cincinnati. Suddenly last week my son who is 2 year old started to squint and blink his eyes. He will not do it always but sometimes and I am not able to find any pattern when he does this. He also has blocked nose and snores very badly at night because of which he has not slept properly for days (me too :(  ) . My husbands insurance does not kick in till month end. So I was just wondering if this was something to worry about and if I should take him to the doc anyway. Has any of you faced something similar ? He has never done this before when we were in Phoenix.

Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 05:18 PM

Hi AditMom,   I'd check for mold in the new residence,  or any new mattresses in use?    There may be mold in carpeting. There is a high possibility that the new residence is offering your son some  allergy challenge of some type.  If the home was just moved out of, perhaps all the exposing of corners and crannies, etc., and moving of furniture and all goods stirred up dust and dirt into the air.    

Saline water may help to very gently flush, keep swelling down and cleanse the mucus membranes. 

Homeopathy can really be a big help for allergies and sinusitus. 

There are many home care ideas!  ...and of course, it might not be sinusitis or allergies.  

You could look into bromelain: http://www.livestrong.com/article/501730-bromelain-dosage-for-sinusitis-in-children/

I take bromelain and quercetin (powerful natural antihistimine) and such for allergies myself.  huge help.   

Sandra Hess, CPM, traditional midwife

Heartland Midwifery

Fresno, Ohio

Old 05-18-2012, 06:21 AM

Cincinnati is SUCH an allergen-filled place. Seriously, I know so many people who have moved away and their allergies have "disappeared". You might try getting a good air filter and putting it in his room so that at night and during naps, he is breathing clean air at least. I've also heard that local honey can be helpful for allergies, but don't know too much about it. There are some good NDs around here as well if you'd like me to message you their information.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I am not in Cincinnati, but this caught my eye because a relative's child had the same exact issue at the same age. We were convinced it was allergies, but it turned out that her child was severely far-sighted! She has glasses to correct the problem now. Just to let you know there could be another angle, and your move could be coincidental. Good luck with figuring it out!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Old 05-20-2012, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Allergies can be very bad here, especially in the valley (i.e. Northside, Hartwell, Wyoming, etc). This isn't an immediate solution, but there are some good local honey producers. We especially like Bee Haven Honey since they have hives in Northside and other nearby neighborhoods. Just a heads-up- it might get worse when ragweed season comes around August.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragweed#Ragweed_pollen_as_an_allergen

I hope you find a solution! Poor baby.

Foster mom, married to DH (foster dad!)

Old 05-21-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for all the replies. I don't know why I never got notification of these replies in my mail.

heartland midwife   thank you for the wonderful link. May be I should try to include atleast more pineapple juice in his diet. And about molds I do there is no visible mold in the apartment. But I am not sure if there can be something that we can't see with naked eyes. I will definitely check with apartment people.

womenswisdom It will be great if you can send me the details of good ND around Cincinnati. I myself was looking for homeopath / naturopath for my son.

Ragana Even I was concerned that it might be farsightedness but from my observations of past 1 week I think that he is able to see far off things fine. I keep asking him if he is able to see things and he just answers fine. So I am hoping it is not a eye sight issue.

TeamViddy thank you for the heads up. Where do you buy this honey from ? I myself was looking for some natural food supplements store here.

Thanks again  everyone for comforting me with so many solutions.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Have you been to Findlay Market yet? If you like farm-fresh food you have to check it out! It's best to go early on a Saturday. Since we barely had a winter there should already be some great produce there. Bee Haven has their own stall in the market house. They have local honey as well as totally gorgeous molded wax candles and salves.They are my friends so I am biased, but they really do have a great product.

Don Popps is the most easy to find local honey. I believe they have it at both the Oakley (closer to Cincinnati) and Mason Whole Foods stores. If you are closer to Clifton/downtown, check out Clifton Natural Foods. It's been there forever and they have tons of supplements and extremely knowledgable staff. There are several other excellent locally owned natural foods/supplement stores in Northgate, Maderia, and Milford (and I many more that I'm not familiar with).

Good luck! Hope your baby feels better soon.

Foster mom, married to DH (foster dad!)

User Tag List