Looking for a doula in/near Columbus, OH that accepts Medicaid (or is relatively inexpensive...) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

I'm looking for a doula or doula in training in the Columbus area (preferably Hilliard, OH). I don't have much money, but it is quite important as the baby's father just left me and won't be there for the birth. I don't have any close friends around this area so as you can see, it is quite important for me to emotionally have an encourager at my son's birth! I'm due in September as well... Is it getting to be "late" in looking for a doula?

Thanks!

Anya Rose. 

www.rememberbaby.wordpress.com

My blog at www.rememberbaby.wordpress.com, filled with letters to my little one starting from 5 weeks pregnant until now!

stork-boy.gif September 30th, 2012 Nicolas Cobourne

computergeek2.gifslingboy.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gifphotosmile2.gifsigncirc1.gifhomeschool.gif

#2 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

http://www.dona.org/workshops/workshop_results.php?doulas=birth&region=US+-+Ohio&start_month=&start_day=&start_year=&end_month=&end_day=&end_year=&sort=City&x=10&y=9&workshop_type=1

I would suggest contacting a doula trainer in your area.  I attached a link to the DONA website above. Students who have completed the training need to attend births to complete their certification so you should be able to find one who will do it for no or low fee.

Or you could contact CHOICE  http://www.choicemidwives.org/  They have midwives and doulas.  They could be a great resource for referrals. I'm originally from Ohio and I knew the folks there then and they are wonderful women.

I don't think it's too late to find someone for September.  Good luck to you!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 8 Old 05-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Hi I am in Lancaster, but you are well within my range. I am a newly trained doula (Feb. 2012) and working towards certification....therefor I am charging very little (i do not accept medicaid). Please contact me for more information  jessica@thelogcabindoula.com or 740-243-9444.

thanks!

jess

www.thelogcabindoula.com

#4 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 07:28 AM

You might also try Kristen Oganowski--when I interviewed her, she was charging $400, I think, which is pretty low, and she seemed wonderful, even though I ended up going with someone else (it was a very tough decision but in the end I went w/someone who had a bit more experience). That was a year and a half ago, so she might charge more now, but still worth looking into.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#5 of 8 Old 06-04-2012, 12:43 PM

CHOICE is pricey & doesn't take medicaid. But they are a great bunch! I am a homebirth midwife who also acts as a doula from time to time. I charge $350 for doula, or $500 for monitrice care when doing hospital births.

Marlene Waechter, CPM

740-710-1218

#6 of 8 Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 AM

HI Anya,  I  believe all women should have the opportunity to have a doula if they want one.  I do not take medicare but  I have taken on clients with special circumstances several times.  Check my website  fromseedtosprout.net   Then call if you would like to get together to chat.   Also, I have many generous clients that have passed on swings, clothes, baby carriers etc....I would be more than happy to share.  Best wishes,    Nancy

#7 of 8 Old 06-08-2012, 10:45 AM

If I may ask, what do you mean by "special circumstances?" I find myself in a similar position as Anya and I have been also looking for a doula who accepts Medicaid

#8 of 8 Old 06-08-2012, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I found some info about Medicaid and doula care.

http://radicaldoula.com/2010/01/22/certified-doulas-can-now-apply-for-insurance-reimbursement/

Some insurance companies will reimburse you for doula care, but I believe you would have to pay first and then submit a claim to your insurance company.  The doula has to have a National Provider Identification number and be willing to help you submit a claim.  There is a thread in this area where doulas were talking about that process.  It's a relatively new process, and I'm not sure how many doulas use it.  It might be easier to find someone working on their certification who is willing to work as a volunteer or for a low fee.  The women up above sound great! Good luck!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Tags
Doula Training , Doula Students , Doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page