warren sand dunes, MI, still a nice place? safe to swim? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-14-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm looking for a nice beach to take my kids (5 and 2.5).  I was here long ago and see it still is getting good reviews.  My main concern is if the water is good to swim in.  I know it's always best to avoid after heavy rains, but other than that, is it generally clean (pretty) and safe?  I know there were bad algae blooms in the great lakes last year.  Kind of defeats the purpose if you can't get in the water.  I'm open to other suggestions as well, though I'd like to keep it close to Ohio if possible.  Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-25-2012, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't answer about Warren Sand Dunes as I've never been there (not sure where it is either sadly), but can you make it to Lake Michigan?  The beaches are incredible!  If you were able to head further north, Tawas Point State Park is on the Lake Huron side of the upper lower peninsula and has a nice beach, too.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#3 of 5 Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 PM

We went to the dunes two years ago and had a great time. I would check the current water quality if you're concerned. That summer many beaches along Lake Michigan were unsafe, but Warren was clear.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#4 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 01:45 PM

warren dunes is great. there is quite the walk from the pavement to the beach and it can be hilly depending on where you park. the campground is great and has a short (one mile?) walk to the beach. st joseph state park is more family friendly. the boardwalk goes to about 20 yards from the water and it has  a large harbor  next to it. my kids love to watch the big boats come and go

#5 of 5 Old 09-27-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

St. Joseph looks great too.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

The UP is unfortunately really far for us; I know it's nice up there.

I think we'll try to make it up next summer.  My oldest really wants to go to the beach.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page