Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It's important to think about what you are looking for when you are considering hiring someone. I think it's a bad idea to hire a "doula" or apprentice with the idea that they will be there in case you have a complication. They aren't just "cheaper midwives", they have not yet acquired the skills and knowledge to be a midwife. If everything goes well, you don't need anyone. If it doesn't, you need someone who knows what they are doing. A person with that level of education really is not qualified to evaluate or address the range of complications that might arise during labor. If that's what you want, you need a midwife, with full qualifications. Maybe you could offer to barter, make payments, etc. I bet that Marlene, who has given out her phone number on this board before (just search a few of the mw-related threads) would come out that way. Maybe try contacting her.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

#4 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

#5 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 PM

Midwives are not illegal in all states, or even in the majority of states. CPMs are explicitly legal in 27 states and in Ohio they are neither explicitly legal nor explicitly illegal. There are plenty of midwives in Ohio who practice openly, including a large practice in Columbus called CHOICE that is in the Yellow Pages. If she wants a doula, then she doesn't need a "doula" (with quotes) or apprentice midwife, she just needs a doula. And those don't cost $3500. Obviously I am not understanding your needs here, since I'm unaware of why a mama who wants a UC would need anyone to cut the cord other than herself. My post was meant to be geniunely helpful, not "cute" and I gave you a name of someone you could contact for the services it appeared you were seeking. No need to be rude.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#6 of 7 Old 07-23-2012, 01:40 PM

I'm certain Marlene would try to be of assistance, and she is easy to discuss options with.  She serves Athens/Athens County and beyond and is a very experienced midwife.   

womenswisdom, I can not see the original poster's posts....so I have no idea what brought discomfort/bad taste, whatever....but, even though (and unfortunate) communication with the poster went a little south- it was kind of you to share what you did, and (imo)I think it was solidly good info and meaningful. 

God bless you both

Sandra Hess, CPM

Heartland Midwifery

Fresno, Ohio

#7 of 7 Old 07-23-2012, 05:27 PM

yes, if fact I will be in Athens doing prenatals tomorrow, & back again for the Athens Birth Circle on Weds. I wasn't sure why doula was in quotes, since the 1st post was deleted, but the reply leads me to think you are not really looking for a doula, but a midwife. I can be either. Again, my # is 740-710-1218. give me a call if you are still wanting a doula, monitrice or midwife.

I am also confused by the reference to a doula costing $3500, most of the midwives I know charge far less than that, let alone the doulas! That price is way off the mark!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page