Indiana: Ft. Wayne VS Bloomington? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey all! We are looking to move back to Indiana from SoCal next year and we're trying to decide which community would work best for our family.. we are a very attached family..we are all about the crunch..home birthing(hoping for a few more babes!), cloth diapering, babywearing, non-vaxing, intavtivists..working towards becoming Vegans! Thoughts? Groups I can check out? I am already feeling really sad about having to leave this awesome community in Cali..any words of happiness would be appreciated! :) Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 07-30-2012, 09:19 AM

Bloomington is a crunchy town, and would be your best bet. Fort Wayne DOES have the only freestanding birth center in the state somewhat nearby, but if you're looking for homebirth, that doesn't matter. Check out BABS (Bloomington Area Birth Services) for lots of area information on natural parenting-type stuff. 

Hopefully someone else will chime in since I'm not from B-town or Ft Wayne.

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#3 of 6 Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 AM

I grew up in Bloomington and have family in Ft. Wayne. Bloomington would be my choice in your shoes, no question. Bloomington is a smaller town than Ft. Wayne by a fair amount, but it is a very vibrant college town, lots of crunchy opportunities, very active community, lots of things to do, and only an hour from Indianapolis if you need a store or something that requires a larger city. The weather is better in Bton (less snow, slightly warmer) and there are lots more hiking and outdoor activity opportunities there as well.

eta: Bloomington has two local natural living/foods stores that might be good places to look at for more info on crunchy stuff in the community: Sahara Mart and Bloomingfoods. :) There's also a large and active UU church in town. The public library is also a great resource!

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#4 of 6 Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 PM

Bloomington is a fun, crunchy town, BABS is great, there are homebirth midwives and the awesome store The Green Nursery. Winter Market, farmer's markets, some natural food stores and more.
#5 of 6 Old 07-30-2012, 01:45 PM

Agree with all the props for B-town!

Two semi-crunchy mommas in Indy taking every day as it comes!  Baby #1 born 1/14/12 at home!

winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gif

#6 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 PM

I live in Fort Wayne and I would vote for Bloomington as well.  ;)  We have a growing holistic community in Fort Wayne, but it is an uphill battle to find open minded care providers.  In fact, up until this year, I could not recommend any obstetrician or any pediatrician as being open-minded to having informed patients.  People get "fired" from their pediatricians if they don't vaccinate.  We don't have a single naturopath or homeopath in the area.  There is a medical acupuncturist, but no TCM acupuncturist.

Bloomington is definitely an easier place to live more holistically.  Hope that helps.

Kat

birth doula

www.kathickey.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page