Midwives and Birthing Centers in Southcentral MI (Coldwater, MI) or Northeastern Indiana - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family has just moved to the Coldwater, MI area (15 miles north of MI-Indiana border, up I-69) and we are seeking a birthing center that is not too far away for "future" reference. We have a 2yr old DS and we are beginning to think about TTC for #2! :) We had a hospital birth with DS at 41.5 weeks with induction, pitocin, epidural, epesiotomy (sp) and an internal tear. Also, DS had latch issues due to undiagnosed tongue tie (took me 2.5 months to figure out what it was and get a doctor to help me and clip his tongue), caused low bmilk supply (I also have flat nipples, so that didn't help either), he had jaundice in the hospital and they basically strong-armed/threatened me that if I didn't give him formula he wouldn't get better and we wouldn't be able to leave. We decided there has to be a better option! And, we are not necessarily comfortable with a homebirth...but we'd like more info. In short, I will definitely need a midwife, at least...and hopefully a birthing center that is close by...either in MI or northern Indiana!

Thanks for your help! joy.gif

#2 of 5 Old 09-24-2012, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Welcome to MDC and good wishes on your TTC journey! I'm bumping your post up for attention. Anyone have a recommendation to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-25-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! We're still searching...I am in contact with Ireena Keeslar out of Northern Indiana (she's a midwife) and she says there is a private birth center in Sturgis, MI but I can't seem to find anything on it. I think it's called Gentle Birth Midwifery? We'll still looking for recommended midwives and birthing centers that are near to our home. 

Thank you all so much!

#4 of 5 Old 09-25-2012, 03:05 PM

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Auburn-Birthing-Center/118942668152102

http://www.greenhousebirthcenter.com/

Here are two links of birth centers that are about 45 minutes away from Coldwater. I'm not sure how you feel about that drive, but I believe they are the closest birth centers. I would definitely give birth at the Auburn Birth Center if I still lived in Coldwater. 

There are some home birth midwives in battle creek, I don't know there details but I'm sure it's just a "google" away, and some of them are willing to travel up to an hour away, which would land Coldwater at the very end of the spectrum. 

From what I've heard of coldwater hospital, they are not very good with other situations, but they seem to send alot of people home who show up and are not far enough along in labor, rather than giving them pitocen. Also, I know they do practice "in room" newborn care. 

Good luck! 

#5 of 5 Old 09-25-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Kelly Ray! I'll check out the Auburn one! That's a do-able drive...we are specifically looking for a birthing center (not sure I'm comfortable with a home birth)...had a hospital birth and we'd definitely like to try for a more natural and gentle birth the second time around. The Greenhouse Birthing center is closing as of Oct. 1st greensad.gif

Thank you for the links!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page