CPM training in Ohio? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Wise Women!

I'm interested in getting in to midwifery, but not sure how... Someone recently told me of an eight-month midwifery course somewhere in Ohio, but I have a suspicion that it was a graduate course for a CNM licensure. Anyone know anything about how to become a CPM in Ohio, or if that's even possible since (to the best of my knowledge) Ohio doesn't recognize CPMs?

Also, my Mom (a huge anti-homebirth person) was just telling me that she spoke with a midwife recently who said that she was NOT a CNM, but that she delivered both in and out of hospitals... My understanding is that only CNMs can practice in hospitals, and there have not been any CNMs in Ohio in recent history who attend(ed) planned homebirths. Is that correct?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mandi

Whoever this woman is, I hope she knows that I'm going to be hearing about the "dangers" of birth, quoted from a "reliable source" for the next thirty years because of her...

Wife to an Air Force bomb disposal technician since June 2008

Mama to a breastfed, family-bed-sleeping, cloth-diapered, non-vaccinated, baby-worn, beautiful little lady, born April 2012 after 3 LONG years trying to conceive

Praying for another baby and a successful home water birth after cesarean...
#2 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 06:21 AM

So, looks like no one has replied to this. Are you still looking for an answer? Don't want to type out a bunch if you aren't but will quickly say to my understanding (I live in an area of OH with a good sized homebirth community) CPMs e would absolutely not be allowed in hospitals here in OH. However, I know without a doubt that there are CNMs who do homebirth in my area of Ohio. I have more info if you want, including a CPM midwifery school. Let me know.

treehugger.gif Homeschooling SAHM of my 3 DDs 7yrs, 2.5 yrs and 1 yr
#3 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yes! We're actually getting on a plane tomorrow to move from Hawaii to central Ohio! =) I'd love to start school as soon as possible, so any recommendations are apperciated. =D

Wife to an Air Force bomb disposal technician since June 2008

Mama to a breastfed, family-bed-sleeping, cloth-diapered, non-vaccinated, baby-worn, beautiful little lady, born April 2012 after 3 LONG years trying to conceive

Praying for another baby and a successful home water birth after cesarean...
#4 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 PM

You can become a CPM in Ohio (through PEP process or MEAC school distance learning) but Ohio does not offer licensure to any midwives other than CNMs. There are a couple CNMs in Ohio doing out-of-hospital births, but they are few and far between because Ohio requires collaborative agreements for CNMs to practice (at all - in or out of hospitals) and not many physicians are willing to sign a collaborative agreement with a CNM planning to practice out of hospital. If you are interested in becoming a CPM and you'll be in central Ohio, contact CHOICE midwives in Columbus. They have an apprenticeship program and are a pretty large CPM practice.

There are no hospitals in the US who grant hospital privileges to CPMs.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page