OB/GYN in South Bend/Michiana (Indiana) area. Looking for well woman care & possible thyroid issues. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking for an OB/GYN in South Bend/Michiana area.  The more natural minded the better.  I need well woman care as I am behind on it, and I suspect I have some thyroid issues going on. The Doctor I was hoping to see, Dr. Uthman Cavallo @ Physicians Holistic Health Alliance in Granger (who sounds amazing actually), unfortunately does not accept insurance and I just couldn't swing it without it. 

I'm not so much worried about Obstetric care because I don't have maternity coverage anyway & I have researched the local homebirth midwives & hope to see them & pay out of pocket for a HBAC when we decide to conceive again. (C-section 4yrs ago with twins greensad.gif)  That being said a pro VBAC MD. would be nice.  I don't want the typical "you'll kill yourself & your baby if you see one of those Midwives" speech. I contacted Fairhaven Midwives @ the birth center in Goshen & they informed me that you cannot VBAC in a birthcenter in Indiana, so I didn't think I would bother with them. (weather this is true or a defacto ban on their part, I don't know.) 

As far as thyroid, I've just heard lots of stories about patients struggling to get their Dr. to listen to just more than their test results & only doing the typical TSH only testing & I'm just hoping to avoid that. Thanks for any info you can give me.  BTW-I'm happy to travel to Goshen or Elkhart if necessary.

#2 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

After some more research, I think I am going to make an appt with Dr. Carlton Lyons.  It looks like he has left OB/GYN Associates of St. Joe and opened his own practice, Northern Indiana Center for Pelvic Health & Gynecology.  I've read some great reviews and it seems like he is a real listener & not pushy.  It also looks like he regularly checks T3 & T4 on top of TSH.  I'll report back after if anyone is curious.  Or if you have any experience with him, please let me know. TIA!

#3 of 9 Old 01-28-2013, 03:12 AM

Dr. Lyons is a good pick for gyne care, he has recently stopped doing ob care.  Long story short; I went to him, by recommendations of my MIL, after telling my current obgyn that i thought something was wrong (for a year).  On my 1st visit w/dr. lyons he agreed with me (just from us talking, no exams or anything).  I had polyps that had grown so much they were on the verge of becoming cancerous.  Good luck, I hope it is a good fit.

#4 of 9 Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for replying!  I made an appointment today for Feb. 28.  I kind of like the fact he doesn't do OB. Do you have any idea how he feels about using Midwives or home birth?  He sounds very refreshing but I just don't want to be thrown if he's super negative about the subject if it comes up.  I've been brushed off so many times and now in hindsight of course, I know just some simple lab work is all that is necessary.  I tend to have super heavy periods and major anemia as well and all anyone has ever done is to hand me birth control pills which I prefer not to be on since it just masks the issue anyway.  Thanks again!

#5 of 9 Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM

I have to be honest.  I think he respects them but only to a certain degree.  When I got pregnant w/DD I went with a midwife.  We are pregnant again and I chose the same midwife.  We ended up finding out we were pregnant with twins & I will be delivered by.....Dr. Cavallo.  When Dr. Lyons found out I ultimately will deliver with an Ob he made a comment that makes me think that he may have some personal opinions about midwifery care that may not be so supportive of them.  I can say that he has never said anything directly negative but I am pretty open in my opinion with him & when I initially switched I told him I was considering going with a midwife & why.  Then when I switched I told him directly but he already knew I would switch.  He is great with gyn care, excellent surgeon, not so open when it comes to some labor practices (water birth ((a big one)), pushing in different positions) so he is kind of in between.  I hope this helps and remember this is 1 point of view, I always tell my clients you should get at least 2-3 witnesses to start even considering something is true about someone in authority.  I hope everything works out, let me know how your 1st appt. goes.

#6 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  Good to know in the back of my mind.  I'm planning not to bring it up directly as I'm not planning on getting pregnant in the very near future anyway. I need to see if I'm right about my thyroid and try to loose a little bit of weight I can't seem to budge.  And honestly, when I decide to get pregnant again, It's not like I have to let them know if I'm seeing a midwife anyway since they don't even do OB.  Do you mind me asking how much Dr. Cavallo costs out of pocket for a birth?  I have insurance for well woman just not maternity so really I can see anyone I want since I'm going to pay cash anyway.  Still cheaper than a deductible.

Congrats on the twins too!  Mine just turned 4.  The first year is CRAZY, but it is so cool to see what good friends they become.  Let me know if I can be of any advice.  I don't know how far you are, but regardless I would suggest reading "When you are expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads" by DR. Barbara Luke.  She runs the multiples clinic at University of Michigan.  Very realistic info on multiple pregnancy, necessary diet and NICU realities.  Not all doom & gloom but I'm sure you all ready know it's a possibility, although it's great you've all ready carried to term and your body does remember that I believe. Mine was my first pregnancy.  I'm 4"9' and my girls were born at 34 weeks both over 5# and were only in the NICU for 2 weeks.  Never needed vented just a little CPAP for the first few days.  Good luck! It's so exciting when I meet another Twin mama!

http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Expecting-Triplets-Revised-Edition/dp/B006G8JIBW

#7 of 9 Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 PM

I don't know how much Dr. Cavallo charges.  I am seeing him because he covers my midwife, so it isn't thru his actual practice.

Recently, I have met a lot of twin mamas.  Nice to meet another one.  Thanks for the reading suggestion I will check it out.  I am 25 wks along.  My only questions I have now are babywearing...did you and if you did what did you use,  breastfeeding...did you use a twin breastfeeding pillow, and cloth diapers...did you use them...if so suggestions to start off.

#8 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

My reply was super long so I just sent it in a PM. smile.gif

#9 of 9 Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 PM

Dr. Cavallo's current fees (out-of pocket) are $2500 for delivering at St. Joe or $3500 for delivering at Memorial.  (as of April 2013)

From all I have heard from other Moms he is a really great and supportive OB! (even for VBAC's)

blessings,

Sarah

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page