CNM HOMEbirth midwives in Central Ohio??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are there any CNM's that do homebirths in Central Ohio??

#2 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 AM

Nope. CNMs aren't allowed to do homebirths in Ohio. 

#3 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Cpms are not "legal" either so I was just wondering if anyone knew any CNM's that do homebirths!

#4 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 AM

CPMs aren't legal but they aren't illegal either. HB is going to be specifically disallowed by a CNM's malpractice insurance. I doubt any of them would take that risk. I suppose it's possible there's someone operating against her practice standards somewhere. 

Youngfrankenstein likes this.
#5 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM

CNMs can do homebirths in Ohio. It is not illegal. However, they are required to have a physician collaborative agreement in order to practice (at all - home or hospital) and there are very few physicians who will do so for a CNM planning to attend home births. There actually are a couple of CNMs doing home births in Ohio, but I don't think they are in the Columbus area. There is a practice of CPMs in Columbus - CHOICE. They have a website, a large office and are in the yellow pages - pretty openly practicing.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#6 of 14 Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 PM

There are CNMs who practice d do homebirth in Ohio. For example, Delphine Silvermoon travels out if Athens (for the birth she'll travel, the spots are at her home/office). I also recall reading about another practice of midwives (CNM I think) up closer to Amish country. Either way, I know Silvermoon midwifery does homebirth. Google her, great website. I bet she'd be happy to help you find someone if she can... And I bet they network and know each other. Good luck!

treehugger.gif Homeschooling SAHM of my 3 DDs 7yrs, 2.5 yrs and 1 yr
#7 of 14 Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 PM

That was supposed to say appointments, not spots.

treehugger.gif Homeschooling SAHM of my 3 DDs 7yrs, 2.5 yrs and 1 yr
#8 of 14 Old 04-17-2013, 01:50 PM

AGH! stop with mis-information already! It is NOT illegal for either CNMs or CPMs to  do homebirths in OH.
Yes, Delphine does homebirths in the Athens area, she does not travel far, & does most prenatal care in her home, not yours.
Dr. Michael Corbin in Pleasant Valley, WV is her back-up. She is the only CNM I know of doing homebirths in OH at present.
Jacque Gruer, CNM, in Cinci, used to as well, but not at present.
I, (a CPM) attend births in most of southern OH. - legally, I might add. I have several back-up doctors I use, including the same Dr. Corbin Delphine uses. I  do  most  of my prenatal care in my clients homes. There are plenty of other homebirth midwives who practice legally.
Some midwives practice illegally, that is they use or do  things that need a license which they do not have. But it is the particular illegal things they are doing that make it so. There is no law regulating the practice of midwifery in OH. So as long as the midwife sticks to natural homebirth care, she is legal. If she uses things which require a license (for good reason, they can be dangerous!)... pitocin, vacuum extractors, AROM, then she is crossing the line to  Illegal.

PLEASE stop spreading rumors about midwifery being illegal in OH!

mothercat and Mommysoli like this.
#9 of 14 Old 05-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Do you attend births in the Cincinnati area!?

#10 of 14 Old 06-19-2013, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Marlene when I said "legally" its because there are no laws governing. At my appointment w/choice the same thing was stated. I am looking for a CNM for a homebirth that can legally carry pitocen or place an iv due to past complications I have had. I am not stating thatyhat CPM's
#11 of 14 Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Stupid cell phones.... Cont..are illegal, just that they are neither hence the quotations. I support CPM's but its not a great option for me.
#12 of 14 Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 PM

Yes, I do homebirths all over southern OH. I do like to limit them to the east side of Cinci though as its 2 hrs to  Eastgate, then getting into Cinci traffic could add another hr if to fat west or north.

#13 of 14 Old 07-15-2013, 08:53 PM

If you foresee the need IV & pit, you should probably plan a hosp. birth. CPMs are trained in herbal/natural remedies, instead of resorting to allopathic drugs. There are DEMs who learned how to use pit for a pph, though that is illegal, many still do.  If a client is worried about pph, we have them get an rx for cytotec, to be adminstered PRN, I've only had to use that once, & only because they'd already buried the placenta before the delayed pph started. A little piece of placenta usually does the trick, if herbal remedies don't work. We are trained in proper nutrition as well, & green leafy veges go a long way to prevent pph. I've only started an IV at a homebirth once, & that was totally client request, not emergent. I didn't want to do it, she didn't need it, but she was an RN who threatened to do it herself if I didn't, so I did. She was a friend, not a paying client, or I wouldn't have. If someone needed an IV that bad, we'd be calling the squad anyway!
CNMs are trained in the hosp ways, with allopathic txs. They do not learn how to use herbal remedies unless they learn it on their own. So, just because your CNM midwife  used IV & pit, doesn't mean a CPM can't handle a pph. Personally, I find it a trifle insulting that you don't think we could handle homebirth emergencies. 

#14 of 14 Old 07-31-2013, 05:21 AM

Maybe you would be more comfortable going through the midwives practicing at OSU. I will say ALWAYS say make sure you are comfortable with your midwife. I used a midwife mentioned on this forum and I had a HORRIBLE experience. I just found out how to report someone and I may. I should have known to switch during our appts as I felt like something was off with her. Due any day and so glad we moved closer to Cbus we are using CHOICE

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page