speech delay in my 17 month old. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-13-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i am a single mother of a beautiful and happy little boy. as of recently i have started to be more and more concerned with his speech. i have been told by many mothers, that are older, that every child will move at their own pace which i believe but i also work at a child's clothing store so i have seen several little ones that have a very abundant vocabulary and are the same if not younger then my son.

my son has been very healthy despite my in ability to breastfeed, and the worse case was a bad cold and start of an ear infection that was caught early on. so what i am trying to say is that he has no health problems and or hearing problems per his peds. doc./family history.

i am part of the government program called help me grow and have been sense my son was 3 months old. so far all the assessments that they have made (which is just a general assessment) is that my son is health, happy, and smart. which is nice to my ego but not helpful. i am now embarking on a new branch of the help me grow program called early interventions. they have done a  more thorough assessment which shows that my son is delayed in his expressive communication. he does not know how to communicate basically even though he babbles like the best of them. 

what i am asking of my fellow mothers out there is if they have worked with this program and some tips that might have learned along the way that i could start working on with my son.

#2 of 4 Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 PM

Hello! Just wanted to say that my sister in law went through something similar with her daughter, and she got some help via an early intervention program - I do believe they sent a speech/language person to the house to work with my niece.  She definitely made progress and they did all kinds of things to help, according to my sister in law.  I would guess any activity that encourages your son to use words/language would help, but obviously I'm no expert.  I know one thing they worked on was having my niece "ask" for things instead of just automatically giving them to her - even though we as moms get really good at anticipating our child's needs.  They also sang songs, and she worked with flash cards... she may have been a wee bit older... I think they started to be more concerned at about 18 months... the babbling is a good sign!  It doesn't hurt to get some help with your son's language development from some experts, glad you're seeking it out.

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#3 of 4 Old 03-16-2013, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the information and kind words. We have our first meeting next week with the therapist and I am really looking forward to it. I have been trying to have my son tell me what he wants but he just gets so fustrated that ur right I do just anticipate what he wants. I guess mommy needs to learn a few things too but I'm so used to the guessing game smile.gif
#4 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 AM

Have you tried baby sign language? My sister in law said that helped her daughter start using her words.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page