Childbirth options with medicaid? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,  I was wondering if anyone knew if Medicaid covered midwives, birth centers, homebirth, and/or water births?  I am currently pregnant with my second child and would prefer to use a midwife in or out of a hospital situation.  I definitely want a natural childbirth and would love to be able to have a water birth.

#2 of 8 Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Where I lived I had medicaid that covered homebirth. Have you already chosen an MCO? (managed care org) There was only one in my area that did cover homebirth. I found which by first calling the few midwiferies around to see who accepted medicaid at all, and then the midwife (a CNM) I chose told me that if I wanted a homebirth I would need to choose this one specific MCO. So I did, and the birth itself was covered! At this office though they had a midwife assistant who attends and that was NOT covered by insurance unless at the hospital, so I did have to pay something like $500 in order to have the homebirth. Water tub rentals from their office weren't covered by insurance, but I don't know if that would be the case everywhere.

#3 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 08:07 AM

You should contact your Medicaid agent. They can answer this for you. My care plan accepted a birth center but only one midwife in my area. I ended up getting an OBGYN and opting for a birthing center. Then I had to get induced and I didn't get to do the birthing center anymore greensad.gif Good luck! Most birthing centers have whirlpools for birthing in so that may be your best option.
#4 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 02:03 PM

It depends on what state you are in. Where is that?

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#5 of 8 Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

I am living in Akron Ohio.  I will be moving to Marion Ohio by July.

#6 of 8 Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Medicaid should cover a CNM (almost all of which practice in hospital) but not any DEMs or CPMs (which are who attends out of hospital births almost exclusively in Ohio). because they are not licensed in Ohio.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#7 of 8 Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Not sure about your area, but I have had two (and am about to have #3) babies at a free-standing birth center, staffed by midwives.  My first was a water birth, second wasn't (by choice) and everything was covered by Medicaid.

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#8 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 AM

My MCP is caresource and they are covering my CNM in a hospital. To the best of my knowledge medicaid does not cover home births in Ohio, otherwise that's what we would have preferred :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page