I'm currently 11 weeks with baby #2 and am looking for a midwife in the area.
I had amazing prenatal care and a wonderful birth with a midwife for baby #1 and I was totally counting on using her for any future pregnancies. However, I hemorrhaged after baby & placenta were out and for this reason she is denying me care for this pregnancy because she feels I am "high-risk".
I am interested in anyone else's opinions or personal experiences with this. Have any of you hemorrhaged at an OOH birth? What was your midwives reaction? Did you end up in ER? Have you had a home birth since? Did you hemorrhage again? Do you know of any mom's with similar stories?
The only story I have to draw from is my sister's friend who has had 7 home-births, all with the same midwife who says she hemorrhages each time, and that the midwife just has her pitocin ready to go in anticipation of the bleeding.
More importantly though, I am looking for recommendations for midwives. So far I have contacted Trillium, Mother Earth and New Moon , but those are the only ones I know of in the area. I am willing to drive out of the area for a CNM who meets our needs.
Another side note to further complicate things is the $$ issue. The midwife I used with baby #1 was the only CNM in Michigan (that I was aware of--correct me if you know otherwise) that accepted Medicaid/ Meridian insurance. I paid next to nothing out of pocket, and I wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise. Does anyone know of a CNM in MI that accepts Medicaid? I know the billing situation can be very tricky with that sort of thing, and that's why so few midwives are able to go through Medicaid.
Even a birth center that had a sliding scale or reduced fees/payment plans for low-income families would be great.
Thank you all. I look forward to hearing from you Michigan Mamas!
I'm pretty sure Stacia with Trillium has a sliding scale but I don't believe she can take Medicare (I had a HB with her for my #4 in 2006 and she did have a sliding scale then. Also I did hemorrhage at that birth and though we came close to a transfer, it did not end up necessary).
I feel certain Stacia would have taken me on again had I asked. Talk to her bc I could be wrong, but I think that most MW would find that an issue/history they would be able to handle. The only reason I had #5, 6 and will have #7 in a hospital is bc the whole hemorrhage bit was too much for my DH and parents to deal with at home. I know they are more comfortable having me deliver at a hospital or BC so that's what I decided to do.
WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014
Stacia and several other midwives who serve southeast MI take the summer off. It may be a while before you hear back from them. Amanda at New Moon is due with her own baby any day, so don't expect to hear from her either.
Thank you so much for participating in this forum- my gratitude cannot be expressed in words alone!