Searching for CNM close to Livingston County, in Michigan: questions about Medicaid, birthing centers, etc - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies,

I am a new member to this site and hoping that someone can guide me in my search efforts.  I live in Fenton, MI and am searching for a CNM that is located in the southeast Michigan area or close to Livingston county

Until I watched the video, "The Business of Being Born" I did not really know much about midwives, birthing center options or anything outside of a traditional hospital setting for the birth of my baby.  Thank God my Sister-in-law opened up my eyes to the option of natural birth WITHOUT hospital interventions!

I am having my very first baby; which, more than likely, will be my only child.  I have been told that I am low-risk and am about 16 weeks pregnant.  I wish for nothing more than to have the most positive/natural birth experience possible for myself and my baby.  Therefore, I have elected to use a midwife.  Because of my insurance plan (MI Medicaid) I cannot have a home birth (or at least that is what the research has told me). 

I am searching for a CNM that accepts Medicaid and able to work out of a birthing center in southeast, MI or one that is close to Fenton, MI/Livingston, County.  I currently have the Midwest plan through Medicaid, as it was the only plan my Doctor would accept.  I have been told that I can change the plan to another Medicaid plan, but only every 3 months.  So, my current deadline is August 20th!!!  I heard Midwest is a plan that not too many doctors or facilities take- this probably includes the few midwives out there that participate with Medicaid in the first place greensad.gif

Does anyone know of a CNM that accepts Medicaid - Midwest plan?  Should I change to another plan asap??  If so, how about BC/BS complete??  It seems that this plan is more readily accepted. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  I will continue to search, make calls, and try to accomplish my goal- but some help from the experts (Moms and Healthcare Providers alike) never hurtssmile.gif

thanks.gif

FaithnNatural

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Welcome FaithnNatural! Congratulations on your pregnancy! Hopefully someone in your area will post with a recommendation to share. 

Have you joined your Due Date Club here at Mothering? You'll find all the Due Date Clubs here

Good luck!

#3 of 4 Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I have done some independent research and have an appointment set up with the Metro Partners for Women's Health, in Novi. They deliver out of Providence Hospital, in Southfield. It is quite far away from where I live, but they come with excellent credentials- so I feel I will be in good hands. I had to switch my insurance to Blue Cross Complete and change my OBgyn but I feel it will be worth it. I am excited at the prospect of a natural water birth and Providence offers that at their alternative birthing center and they can bill my Medicaid insurance as if I were having a hospital birth! One of my dear old friends had a recent miscarriage after trying to conceive for 8 years and she feels the experience has lead her to become a midwife. She is going to be my Doula;). God does work in mysterious ways!! I feel SO blessed to have such precious gifts in my life!
#4 of 4 Old 09-01-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithnNatural View Post

I am excited at the prospect of a natural water birth and Providence offers that at their alternative birthing center and they can bill my Medicaid insurance as if I were having a hospital birth!

I think you will find them worth the drive. Although I would imagine it happens accidentally sometimes, I don't believe they technically allow waterbirth there. Laboring in the jacuzzi tubs is wonderful, though.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page