UofM Midwives....tell me what you know.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-27-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a phone appt on the 5th and my first appt on the 12th. The girl on the phone was great! She didnt bat an eye at my 2 c-secs and 2mc only 6mo before this babe was concieved. I will be about 21 weeks at the first appt. We are in Midland so its a good 2hr drive. We looked into homebirth but just cant afford it, and I honestley can't handle the stress...pressure from family and friends. As it is we are distancing ourselves from our best friends because shes an ob nurse who says Im putting myself and baby at risk for my own personal desire to birth vaginally. He agrees....and they think that going to UofM says how risky it is since they are the best and are the only ones who will take my vba2c. Others are happy for us. Which helps.

ALl that aside though...husband and I are really happy to have found the UofM midwives and are really now looking forward to the rest of this pregnancy and birth. We feel like we can actually now enjoy it.
We also feel a little like first timers...having never been to UofM before for anything..not knowing the birth center or any of the midwives or anything.
What can we look forward to? Who do you like? What to expect in general? Any other thoughts?
#2 of 4 Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Another thing... since it will be 2 hours from the hospital...in good weather and timing...should I look for a doula in my area to travel with us, or find someone closer and meet them there?
#3 of 4 Old 08-29-2013, 02:17 PM

Hi! I don't have any info to share but I'm looking into u of m midwives as well. Do you know which CNM you will be with?
#4 of 4 Old 09-01-2013, 10:34 AM

I have not delivered at U of M, but saw Kathy until late in one of my pregnancies. I really liked her, she viewed pregnancy as normal and the prenatals were laidback. Ultimately I switched only because when I started asking 'what if' questions about potential complications in labor, she didn't have a lot of answers and seemed to be saying I would be handed over to a resident without much decision making by her. I wanted to hear more about how issues are typically handled before actually being in labor.
That was a few years ago, though, so maybe the midwives have more autonomy now? I would ask.

I do have several friends who have had good natural midwife births there. They mention that the hospital policies on monitoring, i.v.s, cervical checks, etc are fairly restrictive and perhaps a bit repetitive as students are learning, as is typical in any teaching hospital setting, so it might be wise to clarify with Kathy (and your doula) exactly what you are hoping for. It is a midwife but not necessarily a 'birth center'. I hear the new Womens Center is nice and does allow waterbirth if the one tub is available.
I'm so glad you feel comfortable there. That is the most important thing. I hope you get some input from someone who has personally delivered there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page