Homebirth & Medicaid (or bartering, sliding scale etc) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-27-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I'm 32 weeks pregnant now and am just looking into homebirth. We've been living in my father-in-law's house for the past two years (where it obviously wouldn't be an option), but found out recently that we'll be moving into our own apartment at the end of September. I had my first son at U of M and even though we saw the midwives (who we're currently seeing again) there were so many things about the experience I'm unhappy with. I really don't want to go through that again. We have Medicaid and I know it's unlikely I'll find a homebirth midwife who accepts it, that would be awesome! I've emailed a few homebirth midwives with sliding scales but the lowest price I've gotten is $1600, which I know is good but still too much for us. Does anyone know a midwife that will do bartering? I don't have all that much to offer, but I could do housework, lawn care, babysitting. Or if they had an office I could help out any way there. I'm not sure what people would accept. I'm really willing to do anything, just unfortunately we don't have the finances to afford it and don't have much time to save up.. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

(I forgot to add we live in Ypsilanti, MI)
#2 of 9 Old 08-28-2013, 01:40 PM

Im so sorry Im not of much help in finding a midwife. I really hope someone might know something for you....
We are in a similar situation eith wanting the hb but not being able to afford it. At all. Every paycheck goes right back out again. smile.gif
All of that is what lead us to UofM midwives and I was just wondering what you rxperienced at UofM that you didnt care for. So we are prepared and know what to look out for.
#3 of 9 Old 08-28-2013, 01:41 PM

Feel free to pm me so I dont hijack your thread. wink1.gif
#4 of 9 Old 11-02-2013, 10:47 AM

emwilbz, I encourage you to patiently keep inquiring.  What you seek (direct-entry midwife to assist you with your desire for midwifery care / home birth) is so positive. Make your inquiry gentle, but don't put off asking a midwife a second time -later, if your search must go on. It is likely there is a midwife 'out there'  willing to take on a barter arrangement if she understands your need.  Think creatively and be willing to work hard.   Make up a very nice card that lists as many things you can think of that offer something of value.  With sharp vision look over your possessions- what could sell for cash?  Be clear in your request to her what portion of her payment would be paid in cash/ what in barter arrangement.  Good luck! 

Sandra Hess, CPM

Heartland Midwifery

Fresno, OH.

https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandMidwife

#5 of 9 Old 02-09-2014, 05:03 PM

Sounds like you are in MI. I'm in s. OH, so too far to help personally but I do a lot of barter.  I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find someone closer.

I just wanted to let you know that I, & many midwives like me would be GLAD to take Medicaid, IF they would only accept US!

#6 of 9 Old 02-10-2014, 11:25 AM

Have you tried the Amish? I used to be Amish and know of someone in rosebush area of Michigan. This is her daughter's email.
The daughters name is Wilma Luthy. Ask if her mom stool does midwifery. They all used to be Amish but are mennonite now as am I. Mom might still be Amish tho. Hope that helps. I don't know what she'll barter.
#7 of 9 Old 02-10-2014, 11:26 AM

sorry forgot to say my name which is Ginny Jenkins. I know what it's like to be on a budget and not able to afford to have a baby lucky for me I am infertile and trying hopefully to conceive.
#8 of 9 Old 02-10-2014, 11:28 AM

the email didnt paste for some reason
#9 of 9 Old 02-10-2014, 11:29 AM

ok just email me an ill give it to u.
pommom7310 at gmail

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page