CNM or Birth Center & open-minded pedi in CLE area? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-14-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family of three is planning to relocate to NE Ohio this new year. I'm from a Cleveland suburb originally, but left way before my child-bearing days. 

We're leaving Denver, our birth center, and our rock-star, super crunchy and knowledgable pedi. I'm nervous about finding similar care in Cleveland, just because the city, as a whole, is quite different from Denver.

Are there any free-standing birth cetners, not affiliated with hospitals? Or if not, are there any hospitals with great CNM teams? We're trying to get pregnant with #2, and I feel pretty strongly about avoiding a typical hospital birth (but I'm sure I want to homebirth, either...)

Any pedi recs? We follow a regular vax schedule, but are very pro-breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and generally AP, and it's important we find a doctor who is supportive of those practices.

Thanks, mamas!

#2 of 5 Old 09-19-2013, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Congratulations on your upcoming move! It looks like your post might have been missed, so I wanted to bump it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have information to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-28-2013, 12:48 PM

I hope someone comes along with a recommendation!  I too, am moving back to Cleveland (leaving Portland, OR) and am hoping to find a similar pedi.  We are trying for #3, but also have 2 other little ones that I will need to find a great ped for.

Thanks for anyone's suggestions! 

#4 of 5 Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 AM

OP - I think the closest thing the CLE area has to a birth center would be St.John Medical Center which may or may not be convenient to wherever exactly you'd be relocating.  I've not used them personally - but have known a few others (in a Bradley Birthing class) who did use services and birthed there and really liked it.  

I know there have been some old threads with lots of ped's names - there's not a lot of OH activity in the tribe area here, but I'd search through and try to find those for suggestions in different areas around Cleveland.  

We've had ped's through 2 different hospital systems though (the Clinic & Metrohealth) and have been really happy with everyone we've had through those places for the kids.  It'll vary though depending on where you'll be, though - big area around here.  Good luck looking into everything.      

#5 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 01:34 PM

st. john westshore is more of a birthing room rather than a center. they have one room that they have dedicated to natural birth with a tub. the first true birth center that serves all women (not just amish) opened this summer in youngstown-

http://mahoningvalleybirthcenter.com/ not cleveland, but approx. 1-1.5 hours away. 

as for peds, it really depends on where you end up. i am in the inner ring suburbs just east of cleveland so those are the peds that i am most aware. we use dr. phelps in chesterland. i chose him based on positive reviews & the fact that he is supportive & non-judgmental of many of the things that were very important to me with a baby - homebirth, delayed & selective vax, cosleeping, breastfeeding, etc. he is a very nice person, great with kids and very respectful to parents & kids alike. 

Dr. Senders & Dr Lavin, both on east side, also came highly recommended. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page