new friends columbus ohio - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-12-2013, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me and my husband are ttc and I was looking at the options at waterbirths and homebirths and if anyone could share their experience and tell me what is out there that lets you birth the more natural way.and I'm looking for new friends that want to share there experiences of ttc.we live in the groveport area.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 10-20-2013, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Welcome! I recommend that you check out our TTC and Homebirth forums. And since it looks like your post might have been missed, I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone else here from the Groveport area?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 AM

The two "standard" homebirth choices in central Ohio are CHOICE and BORN. Both do waterbirths. CHOICE has been around forever and BORN is a relatively new spinoff with former CHOICE midwives. I believe each does a free consultation where they will just it and talk to you about your birth options, answer questions etc.

The biggest problem I think you'll find is that if you opt against a homebirth your OB choices are just about zero :( Every single friend of mine, without exception, has been induced and they all used different docs. Stay away from Riverside hospital whatever you do. They are a baby factory and their c-section rate is really high (so is OSU's) :( There are also the midwives at OSU. I know nothing about them so cannot comment, but maybe someone else on the forum can help you.

Good luck!

#4 of 16 Old 11-17-2013, 03:00 PM

I am 1 1/2 hrs from Cols. I do births in Cols. from time to time when CHOICE gets busy. I have kids & grandkids living there, so am there frequently anyway.
Last month I transported a mom to Grant.  Well she had a vaginal birth, but the docs technique was atrocious, IMHO, She pulled & tugged on the head as soon as it was out, w/o waiting for the restitution to happen with the next ctx, causing a really bad 3rd degree tear! It made me sick to see how rough she was on the poor baby & mom. So I wouldn't recommend Grant. Didn't get the docs name, but she was the on call resident, so just gets who walks through the door, but doesn't yet  have a private practice. There were 3 docs in the room. The resident who did the birth, a student (who she was teaching! agh!) and the head guy who watched it all to make sure she was doing it "right" (gag!). Mt Carmel/St Anne's was pretty nice to my dd when she showed up 9cms in labor at 35 wks with twins, & had not seen anyone but me for prenatal care. She managed to have a natural birth in spite of the fact one of the twins was transverse (doc brought him out by the feet as soon as the 1st one was born). They stayed in her room for the 3 days they were there, Never needed NICU, & only went to the nursery briefly, for vitals, shots (ugh!) & a "car seat test" which they do on all preemie babies before they let them go home. My other dd used that hosp as well, & was very pleased with her care.  

#5 of 16 Old 11-22-2013, 11:09 AM

I am using the midwives at Carepoint Gahanna for my birth at OSU hospital. They do waterbirths.

I was unable to use CHOICE for my first birth at home (midwife conference the same month I was due and they were full), but used Kathy Mitchell in Heath, Ohio. She was excellent. 

#6 of 16 Old 11-26-2013, 12:39 PM

I am also using the midwives at Carepoint Gahanna. We'll see how it goes--I've heard great things about them.

I would offer just a small counter to Pinkyfinx: my last birth, I used Dr. Kathryn Pool of Olentangy OB-GYN. I wouldn't call her crunchy by any means, but she was open minded and sensitive to my concerns when it came to my desire for a more natural birth. She was willing to let me go 10 days past my due date before induction. Not perfect, perhaps, but good for an OB. She acknowledged that it was a little beyond her comfort zone but she recognized it was important to me. I went into labor a couple days before my due date, so it was a non-issue, but I appreciated that she was open to hearing my concerns and explaining her perspective to me at the same time.  Her c-section rate is 10%. My current midwives and doula have all said they really respect her practice (she works with Dr. Paige Turner), and when the midwife option opened up this time around (they weren't covered by my insurance before), Dr. Pool said "That's a great practice, you should feel good about transferring to them." (She actually tried to convince me to go to Dayton for a birth center birth before, but I didn't want to change practices late in the game.)

There is also an OB in Delaware who is supposedly very supportive of natural birth practices. I forget his name--maybe starts with an H? My doula said he was fantastic, but said the catch was he had a very busy practice and if he happened to be unavailable when you went into labor, you didn't know who you would get.

I delivered at OSU and had a very positive experience. A couple of the nurses were going through midwife training (through OSU's program) and everyone was very respectful of my birth plan and requests for privacy and quiet. They had a lactation consultant who was really helpful after the birth and are supportive of rooming-in/kangaroo care. The only thing that sucked was the round-the-clock interruptions after the birth to check blood pressure, etc.--very hard to rest, but that's just hospitals. I did end up getting an epidural, and was glad I did (had been up all night and was really struggling with exhaustion but couldn't rest because of pain), but this time I'm excited to see how far I get with the waterbirth option.

I don't know what OSU's c-section rate is--I would think it has more to do with the doctor than the hospital--but if it is high, maybe it's because they handle all the high risk transfers for the region?

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#7 of 16 Old 11-27-2013, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The midwives at Carepoint Gahanna are awesome.   I saw them at the previous location as well, so I've been with one of them for about 5 years now.  They come to the hospital as soon as you're admitted and stay the whole time you're in labor.  They're the only group in the area that offers waterbirth at the hospital.  Their standard care is low-intervention.   I didn't love delivering at OSU, but it was well worth it to be with them.   I really can't say enough good about them.  Here's a couple of their websites.

http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/obgyn/care-and-research/services/midwifery/pages/midwifery-faqs.aspx

https://www.facebook.com/ColumbusMidwife

#8 of 16 Old 11-27-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwr View Post

The midwives at Carepoint Gahanna are awesome.   I saw them at the previous location as well, so I've been with one of them for about 5 years now.  They come to the hospital as soon as you're admitted and stay the whole time you're in labor.  They're the only group in the area that offers waterbirth at the hospital.  Their standard care is low-intervention.   I didn't love delivering at OSU, but it was well worth it to be with them.   I really can't say enough good about them.  Here's a couple of their websites.
http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/obgyn/care-and-research/services/midwifery/pages/midwifery-faqs.aspx
https://www.facebook.com/ColumbusMidwife

LLWR--that's very helpful. It's a little hard to tell how they'll be because the prenatal appointments really aren't any different from the ones I had with my OB, but I'm so excited to have someone there from the moment I check in. Which of the midwives did you work with for your delivery? I have a preference, but I'm not sure if we have any control over who is there when we go into labor.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#9 of 16 Old 11-27-2013, 07:36 PM

Becky was on call when I was in labor.  You do just get who ever is on call, but they're all great.  My last labor (and this too) was very fast, so she actually left right after I phoned her and arrived at the hospital as soon as I did.  She was there the minute I stepped into the triage room.   My biggest disclaimer is that I didn't get to actually utilize their help that much.  But the 15 minutes that she helped me during labor was still totally different than my last 15 minute hospital labor initially with a resident and then a very laid-back OB.  I had absolutely no interventions and pushed standing up until about the last 2 contractions when she wanted me on my side because we were in a hurry at that point due to low heart tones.  The nurses gave the baby a bit of oxygen and had her on a warming table for a while to get her going, but Becky kept checking on her numbers and saying it sounded like she was ready for skin-to-skin -- in other words, I felt like she had my back.

They do all the normal, standard things that OBs do at prenatals, but I think when you talk to them about philosophy and how they do birth, you'll see a huge difference.  It's HUGE that they come right away.  I think that the other big advantage is that low intervention is their standard.  You don't have to fight for anything at the hospital, because they just do it that way.  Pat gave me a sample birth plan which was very crunchy -- eating and drinking during labor, no pain meds, delayed cord clamping, breastfeeding, anti-circ -- the whole bit.  Cassandra recommend spinning babies and was going to refer me to a chiropractor if my baby stayed breech for one more appointment.  They don't check you cervix before labor starts unless you ask.  They're also big on informed choice; if you want to talk about not doing something, or doing it differently it's fine.  My only complaints are occasional long wait times for appointments, and I prefer a less noisy, less busy hospital.    Best wishes!

#10 of 16 Old 11-28-2013, 06:17 AM

Thanks! That is super helpful. I haven't even really talked to them about labor plans/preferences yet. My main quibble so far is that appointments have felt a bit rushed--often I have to wait a while and then I feel bad for asking more questions because I know they're behind schedule, and the office staff is...not super warm. But knowing they support eating and drinking in labor is HUGE to me--that was my biggest problem with my OB last time. I just thought her objection to it seemed so overstated, and she claimed that pregnant women rarely wanted to eat during labor. Well, that turned out to be true in my case--I couldnt' keep anything down and had no appetite--but psychologically knowing I have the option is great.

I feel most comfortable with Becky so far, so I hope I get her, but we'll see!

#11 of 16 Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 AM

Blanca,  Looks like your LO came already.  I hope it went well.

I wanted to add that Emily Nieman is returning and she is great as well.  I've only met her a couple of times, but I was so excited that she asked at an annual if I was still nursing my 3yo.  It's the only time I've ever been able to answer no!   She asked like it was a totally normal thing to be doing, and she didn't even have my file or know me well enough to assume that I ever breastfed at all.  It was before she checked my breasts, so she wouldn't have felt anything to make her ask.   I was disappointed to find out she had just left before my latest pregnancy.

#12 of 16 Old 02-24-2014, 07:58 AM

Yes! I had her on Jan. 10th .Cassandra was on call. It was a good experience, though my labor was so fast I didn't have all the stuff I had envisioned--I had really wanted to try the tub but there was no time to fill it, and I got an epidural because due to some issues with finding baby's heartbeat they had me on continuous monitoring, which made everything feel much more intense and out of control. But Cassandra was great--advocated for me throughout and kept a cool head. No tears despite only 13 min of pushing, and a very easy recovery.

#13 of 16 Old 03-04-2014, 01:18 PM

Only being induced if you use an OB is NOT TRUE!  Look up Dr Isabel in Westerville.  He does VBACs.  Also, there are some midwife groups that do water births at St Ann's.  I had an AMAZING birth at Grant.  I agree to avoid Riverside and OSU, but St Ann's and Grant are fine.  I basically had a homebirth in the hospital.  Labor tubs at both St Ann's and Grant.  I was in the shower during transition (and didn't realize I was in transition - 2nd baby too).  I felt like I had to push, doula got me in the bed to be checked, and I was complete.  Pushed on my side, no IV, buck naked with my upper leg on dr's shoulder.  Dr let me pull my baby out and put her straight on my chest.  It was AMAZING!  Can't say enough about it!

In response to MarleneCPM - there is likely a difference between delivering with a dr you have picked and trust at Grant versus being transported and getting some Tom, Dick, or Harry.  

erigeron likes this.
#14 of 16 Old 03-04-2014, 02:52 PM

JBird--you may have had the OSU midwives at St. Ann's--until last year that is where they delivered. You can now have a waterbirth at OSU.

#15 of 16 Old 03-05-2014, 05:55 PM

Dr. Isabelle delivered my 2nd baby 4 years ago.  At the time Becky was the only midwife at the clinic and he was her backup.  Yes, he is very laid-back.  I had no talk of birth plans with him since I was seeing Becky.  Despite that, he automatically let me pull out the baby after he delivered the shoulders (yeah, JBird, that was cool), asked Dad to say the sex (we hadn't even planned that), and declined meds for bleeding that the nurse handed him.  He's also open to delivering in different positions.  He arrived at the hospital in like 5 minutes.  I was lucky that *I* got there in time; to have someone else make it was extraordinary.  If I hadn't had to get started with a resident, it probably would have been more like my midwife birth.

The midwives he worked with were offered a position with OSU and moved to Carepoint Gahanna about a year ago. 

I prefer the midwives because they offer waterbirth and come as soon as you're checked in.  I also prefer a woman, and these women just happen to be really amazing.  I'm pretty sure that when I was there he wasn't doing VBACS, but that may have changed.  I know the midwives offer them.  Currently, OSU with these midwives is the only place to use the tubs for birthing.

#16 of 16 Old 03-09-2014, 08:27 AM

I don't know id OP is still trying to conceive, but her original post asked more about homebirth & back up for homebirth options.
BTW a pp mentioned a Dr. H in Delaware. I'm not aware of any there, but Dr. Horlacher in Dayton is great! He's been backing homebirths for many years, maybe that's who pp was thinking about. Another great doc s in Dayton is Crouch (did a twin waterbirth!)

The conversation has drifted to only discussing hosp. births. So, bringing this back in the original direction... 
CHOICE, & BORN, are both in the Worthington-Clintonville area. Kathy Mitchell & San Hess are east, Becky Fry is north, Marlene Waechter is sout,. Tuesday Lach is west. That's all I can think of.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page