Northwest Indiana/Chicago area in home ABA & autism resources - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,my family and I are moving across the country to the Chicagoland area, specifically Northwest Indiana (the Valpo/Portage/Hobart/Merrillville area). Both of my boys are autistic and need ABA. We have always used in-home services in addition to ABA at school. I have been searching for a new ABA provider, but I'm not finding a lot of reviews so I thought I would come on here and see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

What's important to me is:

1. In-home services are a must. I won't always be able to make it in to an office.

2. Having the therapists cell phone number. I know some companies don't allow this but I feel it's important. The main therapist who has worked with my boys texts me to make schedule changes and I do so with her. She'll text me to ask a question and I can do the same with her. This is highly important to me.

3. Outings. I find this so, so, so important. Our current therapist has gone to therapeutic drum circles and to the store and on nature walks and ice skating and soon bowling with us. I want the option of including the therapist on outings as a part of our service hours.

4. Insurance. We have tricare, so we need them to accept that.

If you have any reviews of companies in the Northwest Indiana area that you do/don't recommend please, please let me know. I've been googling and googling and frankly, I'm not coming up with much.

I am also looking for any autism groups in that area. I've found several for aspergers, but that's not what my boys have so it's not useful to me. In our area we have a huge group that offers monthly outings (for free) and special needs sports and other things. I'm looking for something like that (and it doesn't need to be free, I'm willing to pay). Something where I can meet other parents who are going through the same things. Or any special needs sports teams, or other activities. Like I said, I've been utilizing google, but I'm not coming up with tons.

Thank you in advance for and advice or suggestions.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'm sorry I don't have information to share, but I am bumping this up for more attention. I hope you find some good resources.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

User Tag List