CNM or CPM in SE Mich...these are a few I've heard good things about, opinions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-16-2014, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Through looking at old threads and some personal experience or through friends, I've heard good things about these midwives:

Linda Johnson

Kate Mazzara

Stacia Proefrock

Pat Kramer

Beth Barbeau

I had a home birth with my 2nd daughter, and Dr. Kathy Kleinert was my midwife.  I had a very good birth experience and a mostly good prenatal experience with her (I felt at times she was not easily reachable), but I saw it posted somewhere that she moved out of state.

Does anyone have experience with any of the women listed above?  I live in Wyandotte, and I'd like to ideally have another home waterbirth.  Our insurance is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX), and I'm wondering what, if anything, it will cover.  But I've heard people say on here in the past to ask the midwives about their experience with the different insurance companies, how much they are normally able to get covered.  I really need a midwife that will be covered or mostly covered by insurance or a midwife that will barter (with my other homebirth, I bartered with the soy candles I make) or make payment plans.  Anyone with experience with these midwives and insurance coverage/bartering/payment plans would be especially helpful.  Even if it can help me narrow down my search, it'd be great.  I am not currently pregnant but will be TTC in the next few months.

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 02-17-2014, 04:07 PM

Linda Johnson closed her practice in the fall.  I've heard good things about Stacia and also New Moon Midwifery, but don't have any personal experience with either of them.  Our blue cross plan covered our homebirth with a CNM, but now that Linda isn't practicing I don't think there are any in the area.

Amanda, wife to A , mama to D ('05), O ('07), and W ('10)
#3 of 4 Old 02-18-2014, 10:19 AM

I don't know anything about those specific midwives, but I did love mine! Sarah Maguire was AMAZING, and I also loved Mary Davis, both are with Metro Partners in Women's Health. Sarah was over and beyond fabulous...this was my best birth thanks to her guidance and support and kindness! I don't know if either of them do homebirths, though, but worth checking out. I gave birth at the Alternative Birth Center in Southfield.

#4 of 4 Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 AM

Hi. I have not birthed with any of these midwives yet, but am considering them for the future.

Adarsa (pronounced "Ahh-dar-sha") Antares. She is a CPM. She supervised a Pap/pelvic exam that I had postpartum. I felt very comfortable with her. She is a very reassuring person, very easy to talk to.

Kristin Lacy. She offers services as a doula, monitrice, and DEM. She is in the process of becoming a CPM. I have talked to her over the phone a few times, and feel she is personable, professional, and always striving to increase her knowledge.

Eileen Denomme. She is a CPM. Her interning midwife, Heather Robinson, did my postpartum Pap/pelvic, but Eileen is who I talked to initially. Heather is in the process of becoming a CPM. She and Eileen were both easy to talk to and work with. I was really touched that Adarsa and Heather came to my home to do the exam, even though I had delivered my girls c-section. They did the exam in my bedroom while a friend watched my kids in the living room. It was one of the least awkward exams ever for me, I didn't feel any embarassment or discomfort. I really appreciated their coming to me, as I didn't have to get a sitter or drag my kids to a doctor's office.

Hope this helps. redface.gif

TizTaz5, wife of a wonderful husband and mother of an angel (lost June '09) and two rainbow1284.gif babies born in July '13. Great things really do come in pairs!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page