Natural Birth in the Lansing Area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of any hospitals or birthing centers in the Lansing area that are open to more natural birth plans?  I'll be moving to the Lansing area around my fourth month, so I'll need to transfer into a practice. 

Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Congratulations on your pregnancy! It looks like your post might have been missed so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have a recommendation to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 7 Old 04-07-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I have lived in Lansing my whole life and had two babies here. First was in 2008, at Sparrow, after an unnecessary transfer from McLaren. No drugs, but oh! Did I have to fight for it!
2nd baby was a homebirth in November 2012. Excellent experience!
Greenhouse Birth Center was a great option but is now closed.
So, as far as hospitals go, I would definately recommend McLaren over Sparrow. They have in-room tubs. My sister got to use one in 2011 with her son. No one forced anything on her the way they did at Sparrow.
If your looking for a nurse-midwife, Sameerah Shareef at Meridian Women's Health delivers at McLaren.
Congrats and good luck!!!
#4 of 7 Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much!  I was looking at McLaren and had some concerns about Sparrow myself.  Nothing really concrete, just general concern about their willingness to go let someone go through with a natural birth.  I would love to do a home birth, but since this is my first, I think I would feel a little more comfortable with a hospital natural birth.  I wish there was a birthing center in the area!!!  Thanks so much for your help!

#5 of 7 Old 04-09-2014, 09:16 AM

You are most welcome! Seriously though, at Sparrow, I had nurses peeking in my room regularly while I was laboring. I asked my nurse why, and she stated: "oh, honey...you're a celebrity! They've never seen anyone labor and deliver naturally before". OmG.
#6 of 7 Old 04-13-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Wow!  That is wild.  I'm so thankful for your tips :)

#7 of 7 Old 06-04-2014, 05:57 PM

funkyorangez is spot on, and I wanted to add that hiring a doula would fill in any of the gaps in support that you might find between what you're trying to achieve and what everyone around you is capable of helping you do. A good portion of natural-birth-seeking parents have given birth out of hospital, so it can make a mom seem like a celebrity in a hospital because they don't see it as often. We have so many Doulas in the area, you can find a list over at
http://www.willowtreefamily.com/practitioners

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page