VBAC Hospital, Midwife and Doula recommendation in Southeast Michigan, Novi area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-04-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking through the posts here regarding this and other topics already. I found that most of the posts are older so I decided to open a new one.

My first pregnancy ended up 7 weeks early at Providence in Southfield in 2008. I was laboring 3 days lying on my back in the hospital with contractions every 2-3 minutes for all three days and nights before they decided to do a c-sec on day 4... I wish I would have known back there about midwifes and doulas in the US. I am from Germany and the midwife and doctors work well together over there, where the mom is actually the focus point... My girl was born just fine and was only 5 days in the NICU. It took me months to recover from the c-sec plus my cycle has never been the same ever since.

Fast forward, changing diet, getting acupuncture and having overall healthier lifestyle, I am now at 25 weeks along and I am really hoping I can have a VBAC. I am not against c-sec but I do not want this as a primary choice, more like a back up plan. I want to try everything possible to avoid it but if not possible, I would have to go with it.

My ObGyn is with Beaumont. He says I could try for VBAC but we do not know yet if my cut was vertical or horizontal. However, we are still waiting for the documents from Providence to be sent to my obgyn. He said that Beaumont Royal Oak offers the VBAC options. But, they do not allow midwifes. I was told I could have a doula...

I am trying to discover my options regarding hospital. I am afraid that the VBAC option at the hospital is still very much doctor/medicine oriented and not centered on natural birth. I have read on the forum here recommendation for UoM and Henry Ford in West Bloomfield.

Can anyone tell me if they work with outside midwifes (not their own)?

Are there any birth centers that are close to the hospitals you can recommend?

And last question - who can recommend a VBAC and breech experienced midwife and doula in southeast MI? I have called Kate Mazzara's office, left a voice message and also contact her via their website contact form but have not received any response yet. It has been like 1.5 weeks ago.

I also called Courtney Grabowksi and left a message but my call was not returned yet. I just tried the New Moon Midwifery in Ann Arbor and actually got an appointment next week.

I would really appreciate any advice on the hospitals and midwifes and doulas as I probably would need all three of them...

Thank you!
#2 of 3 Old 04-06-2014, 02:57 AM

Hi. I would contact Kristin Lacy. She offers doula, monitrice, and midwifery services. Her number is 248-739-0565.

TizTaz5, wife of a wonderful husband and mother of an angel (lost June '09) and two rainbow1284.gif babies born in July '13. Great things really do come in pairs!
#3 of 3 Old 04-07-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you TizTaz5 so much!  I will try Kristin. I am super excited as I just heard that my c-sec cut was horizontal and very low..Hopes up for VBAC :).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page