Mothering Forum banner

Midwife in the Detroit area?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jlee 
#1 ·
We just relocated to Livonia and so I am looking for a Detroit area midwife. I am due in mid - March. Any recommendations?

#7 ·
The midwives at HF were great at prenatal appointments. HFWB was nice and fairly accommodating to natural birth at my insistence, but they were clearly not accustomed to women like me. Minimal monitoring and vag exams, delayed cord clamping, and keeping the baby with me were issues I had to press more than I would have liked, despite the vibe at the prenatals being more relaxed. The Pediatric team was not synced up with the midwives philosophy at all. It was nice for a hospital birth. But if you have birthed in the ABC at Providence before, you may find HFWB very different. Since you cant choose whatmidwife will deliver you, I would stick with the facility you prefer since it is more important than the prenatals.

#9 ·
Amanda, which midwife at Metro were you seeing? I haven't been back since my little was born last January, but I loved it there! Did you birth at the ABC Unit? I've also heard things about the new Karmanos center, but no firsthand opinions. It looks fantastic! If they are at all as supportive as they were at the ABC, then I'm definitely going to look into them next time.

#10 ·
Mamavan,

I saw Mary Gadbaw! She moved to Cadillac...way up North! :(

I was not allowed to birth in the ABC because I had a previous c-section. I birthed in the L&D and then Mary was able to get me to recover in the ABC, which was lovely.

My last birth with Mary I was not able to switch over to the ABC...

I am going to try Henry Ford because there I will be able to have the same room as anyone which includes a tub. (The L&D at Providence did not have tubs) Providence had too many regulations for me because of my c-section even though I had two all natural VBAC's after it.

#11 ·
Natural hospital birth

http://oaklandmacombobgyn.com/our-providers/certified-nurse-midwives/

With my fist pregnancy(she was born in March :)) I had seen the mid-wives at Oakland to Macomb OBGYN at about 5 months into my pregnancy. They were great and my delivery went well. I was able to have a natural hospital birth with the comfort of know that if something went wrong that a doctor was a room away.

I am seeing them again for this pregnancy, due in July. I enjoy all the staff and the mid-wives are very supportive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.