Mothering Forum banner

Detroit area- ABC unit and Hap

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  myra1 
#1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anyone with HAP hmo has birthed in the abc unit at Providence with a midwife and if it was covered by HAP/ how much was covered. I noticed all other threads on this were before the affordable care act went into effect. I saw Dr. Pezeshki so far from metro partners in women's health, but noticed that nurse midwives aren't listed in my HAP provider directory, just the docs. I contacted hap already to ask, but.. It's the weekend so they will probably take a while to respond.

Thanks in advance!

Heather

#2 ·
I don't know about HAP insurance to be honest. Just want to throw out there that if you do run into an issue with them check out Henry Ford Westbloomfeild. They have midwives as well, but even if your insurance will not cover the midwives the whole midwife/ob/ nursing staff are amazing. At providence the regular L and D is considered going to 'the dark side.' But at Henry Ford the whole thing is run on evidenced based and respectful care.

#3 ·
The midwives bill under the dr's tax i.d. so yes. I agree with Sarah, the ABC is the local gold standard for natural hospital birth, however, transfers to L and D are not uncommon and it is very different there. HFWB midwives and the hospital are very mainstream by comparison and are not going to to walk you through a natural birth, however, they are supportive and willing to work with a mom's expressed preferences, and no transfer is necessary if complications occur. The clinics are also better run, shorter waits, more helpful/kind staff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.