Mothering Forum banner

detroit metro elem schools for child with special needs

896 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  proud_mama 
#1 ·
Moving to Detroit metro area with sweet 8year old with Down Syndrome (ID Mild). Need recommendations for school districts (particularly elementary schools) that mainstream. Currently live in NC...child is assigned homeroom with typical peers and resource for math, language and reading. Majority all day with peers.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Hi,

My sister is a special education teacher in Ann Arbor. I think most Michigan school do inclusion as much as possible. I would stay out of Detroit public schools (for any students really). Are there a couple of cities you are looking at? Do you like a bigger city or a small "home town" type of location?

#3 ·
Hi,

My sister is a special education teacher in Ann Arbor. I think most Michigan school do inclusion as much as possible. I would stay out of Detroit public schools (for any students really). Are there a couple of cities you are looking at? Do you like a bigger city or a small "home town" type of location?
Hi! I prefer to live in a town with plenty of shopping, libraries, bike trails and lot of community activities. As far as town size, I'm looking for someplace mid-sized (in between a big city and a small town feel) that offers a sidewalk, is kid-friendly and has a diverse neighborhood and top notch public schools. I've been looking at Rochester Hills, and Troy. Can you suggest any other towns?

#5 ·
You might want to check out the Berkley District. I have heard WONDERFUL things about their special ed services.

Also, I believe there is a FB group for families in the metro detroit area with special needs kids. You might get a better response to what you're looking for by discussing with people who are using those similar services.

If you want to email me, erin.e.eagen @ gmail.com I can put you in touch with a good friend who is involved in the community and is a wonderful resource.

#6 ·
You might want to check out the Berkley District. I have heard WONDERFUL things about their special ed services.

Also, I believe there is a FB group for families in the metro detroit area with special needs kids. You might get a better response to what you're looking for by discussing with people who are using those similar services.

If you want to email me, erin.e.eagen @ gmail.com I can put you in touch with a good friend who is involved in the community and is a wonderful resource.
Thanks everyone! Erin, I sent you an email :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.