Any Midland, MI (or nearby) moms? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 208 Old 08-19-2005, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also like the idea of option "c". Weekends are good for me--Sat is better than Sun.
Would anyone be interested in picking blueberries some time? There are lots of places to pick. I called one on Gratiot St--they are $1.50 per pound. I asked about pesticides and she said they haven't sprayed since early June. I can also call around to see if any of them do not spray at all.

Mommy of 2 sweeties, staying warm and making things!
#62 of 208 Old 08-19-2005, 06:04 PM

I would love to go blueberry picking. There is a place down in Flushing that is pesticide free. They were having some problems earlier this month and closed for awhile but I believe they are open again. Otherwise, I have gone to the place on Gratiot before too and they were good.

Christine, mom to ds Myles(3/02),dd Zoie(1/05), ds Sojourn(1/07) and dsd Saige(10/94).  Professional hand analyst, WAHM.
Discover your child's biggest challenge and truly Parent on Purpose
www.christinegulrajani.com
#63 of 208 Old 08-20-2005, 11:09 AM

Where is Flushing? It is not on my trusty phonebook map. If it is not too far I'd like to go there. I noticed that there are a lot of places to pick in the Saginaw area. I'll call around today to see if any others are pesticide free. If not, the ones on Gratiot are probably much better/safer than the ones I would buy at the grocery store. I think they spray them in the flowering stage--not the berries.
Alaska is basically a giant blueberry this time of year--there was just an endless supply of beautiful berries that were wild and NEVER sprayed--and they were free!
Do you want to go next week?

#64 of 208 Old 08-20-2005, 11:16 AM

This is a response to some posts from last week regarding finding a ped. in the area. I did not want to have to drive to Bay City although Ashley's ped sound awesome. I called Dr. Burkey's office again and sweet talked my way in! I am pretty happy about it bc it is fairly close and bc I hear he is really good/ supportive of breastfeeding. We want to vax selectively--hopefully he will be supportive of that.

#65 of 208 Old 08-20-2005, 11:33 PM

Flushing is down by Flint. About an hour/45 minutes from up here. They also have nice apple orchards in Flushing (we used to go there for our high school choir retreat to get apples)

That's great that you got into Dr. Burkey's office. He was very supportive about our breastfeeding with Christopher, even with his low weight gain. He actually suggested nursing more and supplimenting less - unfortunatly, Chrissy has decided to self-wean already. *blue*

Jenn, momma to 4 busy bees
#66 of 208 Old 08-20-2005, 11:51 PM

Hi Gail!

I'm really happy you got into Dr. Burkey's office. It is so important to find a doctor who will be supportive of you and who you can work with. I am sure mine wouldn't necessarily agree with everything I decide but I can at least be honest with her and she knows I have decent reasons for doing things the way I do them.
#67 of 208 Old 08-21-2005, 10:21 AM

Hi Jenn-- Chris's "Chrissy's" early weaning must be so hard for you--but he decided, it is not as if you just cut him off! Was he just more interested in solids? What happened?

Liz--I agree, you have to have a good relationship with your dr --hopefully I will with Dr. Burkey. The dr we were seeing just was not the right fit!

#68 of 208 Old 08-21-2005, 02:30 PM

He was having weight gain issues and was already being supplimented - at about 6 months pp, my milk slows down and I just can't pump enough to keep up. He went into daycare at 7 weeks and was on EBM at that time. Plus, we had a few latch issues in the beginning. He's just too busy to nurse most of the time and seems to feed better from a bottle.

Jenn, momma to 4 busy bees
#69 of 208 Old 08-22-2005, 12:14 AM

The blueberry place is near the Mt. Morris exit off 75. Gailsbeeb since you're further south, I don't think it's far from you at all. I did pick at the place on Gratiot last year and it was fine. They spray only "as needed". The place in Flushing is smaller. Really nice older couple owns it. We tried to go a few weeks ago and they had to shut down for awhile (I think they were having problems with bugs in the berries). The gentleman who owned it broke down in tears when he told us they had to close for awhile so they could correct the problem. They are open again so I'd like to try them. There is also another place around the corner from them. They only spray a fungicide and last time they did was four weeks ago. Only other thing they do is spray unsweetened grape koolaid to keep the birds away. (hmmm.... if it scares birds away should kids be drinking it?) Anyway, I'm really open to going whenever. I may go pick up the chicken/egg order for the co-op tomorrow (monday) so any other day this week or beyond is ok with me.

Christine, mom to ds Myles(3/02),dd Zoie(1/05), ds Sojourn(1/07) and dsd Saige(10/94).  Professional hand analyst, WAHM.
#70 of 208 Old 08-22-2005, 02:41 PM

Christine--(and anyone else who wants to pick beries) Let's try the place in Flushing--they sound like nice people to support. Wednesday is a good day for me. Maybe we can meet there around 10:00. If the weather is bad we can go a different day. Do you have an address? Or directions? Do you know if they supply baskets or do we bring our own containers?
Did you pick up the chickens today? I will check greenseed.
--Gail

#71 of 208 Old 08-23-2005, 11:08 AM

Wednesday sounds good for berry picking, I almost used the last of my berries in a smoothie this morning. I will post directions later today. Chickens & eggs are in. Gail-I sent you an invoice by email.

#72 of 208 Old 08-23-2005, 05:43 PM

Okay, so the blueberry place is called Coyner's . Wednesday 10 a.m.

From 75 South you take the Mt. Morris Exit, turn right (west)

Go exactly 5 miles (literally, check it with your odometer)

Turn left on Gillette Rd.

Coyner's is 3/4 of a mile on the right side of the street. There is a sign that says "blueberries"

The address is 7101 Gillette Rd. Phone number is 810-659-6677

They provide buckets for picking. Bring your own container to take them home.

Berries are $1.20 a pound (I may be a little off on the price, I forgot to double check, but that is what I remember)

See you tomorrow!

#73 of 208 Old 08-23-2005, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the directions Christine! I'll see you tomorrow!

Anyone else goig?

--Gail

#74 of 208 Old 09-02-2005, 10:41 AM

I am orgianally from Midland and now live in Lansing. Most of my family still lives in the Midland area and I am working on teaching those with young kids to babywear. I would love to have more information if you have started a yahoo group for the area since I would love to join, if it is ok with you guys.

Autum
Mom to Tyler (2/6/04)
#75 of 208 Old 09-02-2005, 03:45 PM

Autum,

The group that was formed on Yahoo is TriCityMIAPmoms. Join us! We would love to get to know you!
#76 of 208 Old 09-03-2005, 09:31 PM

Autumn-- Glad to see you joined the yahoo group!

#77 of 208 Old 09-10-2005, 08:04 PM

Maybe I'm a little late for this thread, but wanted to say hi! I had no idea there were ANY crunchy mamas around here! I'm not super-crunchy, but we do CLW, baby/toddler-wearing, GD and family bed.
#78 of 208 Old 09-12-2005, 10:10 AM

what is CLW? you are not too late. join our yahoo group. i don't remember the name, search for MI AP moms. it is probably in this thread, actually. we are trying to set up a permanent meeting time/place which seems to be taking awhile. there are a couple of us who work who are having trouble coordinating with the rest, i think. but anyway...we should just set one up, i guess. i am thinking of having a bonfire at my house pretty soon, i just have to pick an evening.
#79 of 208 Old 09-12-2005, 11:54 PM

CLW is Child Led Weaning, right?
#80 of 208 Old 09-13-2005, 11:26 AM

yep...child led weaning. ds is 2.5 and will nurse 3-4 times a day. I'm having a fun time coordinating tandem nursing these days with dd. 3.5 mos!

I'll have to look into the Yahoo group. working mom here, too (well..we ALL work, but I'm a teacher in addition to mama-work) so we'll see about scheduling, etc.

Glad I found you all!
#81 of 208 Old 09-18-2005, 05:04 PM

Becky--glad you found us! I hope you join the yahoo group.

#82 of 208 Old 09-22-2005, 02:20 PM

I'm in Au Gres, hoping to move to standish soon, and I just saw this thread! yay!! my DD is 21 months old...would love to meet you guys...but we use sposies...:...it has alot to do w/ our current living situation....anyway, I hope thats ok. I'd love to join the yahoo group if possible?

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#83 of 208 Old 09-22-2005, 02:55 PM

So glad you found us! My family used to go up to Au Gres regularly when the township park out by Au Gres Point used to be a privately owned campground (back in the 80's). We had to wash up in the lake (my parents weren't very up on being environmentally friendly) because there were only outhouses at the campground. The perch fishing was fantasic back then. I have some wonderful memories of my dad frying freshly caught fish for supper, then having s'mores by the campfire. I also have some good memories of my 1st "boyfriend," Scott, who I met at the same campground when I was 12. We would take walks around the campground "loop" and sneak in a kiss here and there. :

I think you'll find this group is pretty flexible, as far as "crunchyness" goes. Alyson, who was kind enough to rally us, really wants everyone to feel welcome to the group she formed on Yahoo: TriCityMIAPMoms. Hope you join us! Our next gathering is going to be October 2nd, 7:00 PM, at Ashley's house, for an autumn bonfire (I'm bringing the apple cider, donuts and banana boat fixings). If you join the Yahoo group, you'll get more info as it becomes available (directions, etc.). Hope to meet you sometime soon!
#84 of 208 Old 09-22-2005, 08:25 PM

Hi Christy--Welcome! I'm glad you found us and I hope you join the yahoo group. I also use sposies (and ec) due to our living situation--don't feel badly about it--you gotta do what you gotta do!

#85 of 208 Old 09-24-2005, 04:14 PM

awesome, thanks you guys! I'll have to join the group now, lol!!

kara....scott WHO!? :LOL my DH has an uncle named scott, and he's only afew years older than us....

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#86 of 208 Old 09-25-2005, 12:29 AM

Hi Christy!! My in laws have a house in Au Gres, they mainly use it during the summer. It's on Michigan, right on the water. Really pretty spot!! It's good to see you here, I live in Midland!
#87 of 208 Old 11-20-2005, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Giving this thread a nice . If you are from Bay, City, Saginaw, Mt. Pleasant, or surrounding cornfields .....Please join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TriCityMIAPMoms/ ***NOTE: You must at LEAST be on Special notices so that you can recieve invitations to our get togethers.

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#88 of 208 Old 12-08-2005, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Certainly there MUST be more mommas from this area!

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#89 of 208 Old 12-08-2005, 03:25 PM

#90 of 208 Old 12-10-2005, 12:46 AM

Hee hee I'm still around too!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page