Any Midland, MI (or nearby) moms? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 208 Old 10-22-2006, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 208 Old 10-28-2006, 06:51 PM

Hello! I'm still here!

Want to know what I did? I picked up two knitting books - one on baby socks and the other, mittens... I need to attempt to knit something besides rectangles!! I checked out Lily Lane too - pricey but she has some yummy stuff in there...

I inherited all my grandma's knitting needles. They are all metal but I've got 3 sets of the 4 double ended needles. So they are screaming for me to attempt some socks!
#123 of 208 Old 10-28-2006, 08:50 PM

Rock on, girlie! Next time you go in, look at the lite-lopi -- it's 3.25 a skein & makes nice dipe covers, felted bags, etc. She also has the sugar & cream cotton for about $0.15 more than Meijers. Not bad for an itty bitty shop. I'm thinking of getting some angora for myself for my birthday from there (to make a cowl) -- she gets it from a (semi-local) lady who raises her own rabbits & puts a note on each skein with the name of the rabbit who gave up it's fur, lol. Too cute.
#124 of 208 Old 10-30-2006, 02:47 AM

Well, I got out a knitting project from over a year ago and started working on it again just to make sure I remembered how! But the yarn (microfiber sucks, I'll never buy it again) was so tangled up, that I CUT IT (yes, I sure did!!) and I'll try to untangle the cut part some other day! But I do remember how to knit and purl so that's good, want to try baby socks next I think. Carolynn, I might need some of your help with those.
#125 of 208 Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

I want to learn how to do socks too.

Between DH and I we did up a pretty cool bootie out of the yarn (ty Cinn that I made the Ribby Wrap out of but they turned out KK's size instead of Becca's size.

KK and Ari both need sweaters esp for church. I am not sure what I want to make them out of. They need to be White or Ivory so they go with any color dress and they have to have buttons.

I just had an idea right while I was typing. Make them out of the Sugar and Cream yarn K has one that is made out of cotton that she outgrew and she LOVED it and it was very durable.

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#126 of 208 Old 10-30-2006, 11:43 AM

Alison -- get the huge cones from Meijers! And I have a great pattern if you want to try cables...

Okay ladies, week after next is a sock tutorial at my place, lol. This Wednesday Jaimee will be here with her 3, I believe, so playgroup will be crazy fun!
#127 of 208 Old 10-30-2006, 04:29 PM

Cool - we plan to be there Wed! I'll bring whatever projects I'm working on by then... and the sock tutorial would be really cool! (Although I will probably attempt to start socks before then...)
#128 of 208 Old 11-05-2006, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

over the sock tutorial!

#129 of 208 Old 11-05-2006, 03:20 AM

I did start a sock, and I'm almost done!!! I even got through the heel turning part and everything! It doesn't look that great, in fact in places it looks really horrible... but I made it by myself and I'm really proud of it! I'm really hoping the second one turns out a little better though...

I actually had to stop and take breaks because parts were stressful! But I think the next one will be easier. I'll still look forward to the tutorial!

Alison - what happened to your siggie??
#130 of 208 Old 11-09-2006, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

If we had more time on our hands it would be cool to bring ethnic food types to try.

#131 of 208 Old 11-09-2006, 02:00 AM

Liz -- having just changed my siggie, my guess would be that she tried to change hers & couldn't "back out." If it's over 2 lines the program now will automatically not let you use the siggie you just entered in... Unfortunately it doesn't show you how far "over" the limit you are... I had to add stuff in a word or two at a time.
#132 of 208 Old 11-09-2006, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercrest79 View Post
If we had more time on our hands it would be cool to bring ethnic food types to try.
has anyone tried that new middle-eastern grocery in saginaw? havent had the time to check it out yet.

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#133 of 208 Old 11-09-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy1980 View Post
has anyone tried that new middle-eastern grocery in saginaw? havent had the time to check it out yet.

Yasmeens ROCKS!! I LOVE that place!! I've been in there a few times... I need more olive oil and a few other things so I'll have to try to get there again soon... the prices are really good too! And, the owner told me he plans to open a deli sometime in the near future, I'll be SO happy then!
#134 of 208 Old 11-09-2006, 06:22 PM

Yay! I'm going to talk DH into going this weekend if we can get the car fixed!
we need more appalam, and spices to make tica marsala, lol.

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#135 of 208 Old 11-21-2006, 12:32 AM

Just bumping
#136 of 208 Old 11-21-2006, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

#137 of 208 Old 11-24-2006, 05:24 PM

I just saw this thread and am so stoked because my husband is looking at a job to possibly move us to Midland. We're in San Antonio now, and I was looking at Midland on Wikipedia and was concerned about it being smallish and kinda un AP friendly. But there are MDC mommies! Yay! What can you tell me about Midland? Is it homeschooling friendly? Or are there good preschool/ elementary schools? LLL? What is the town like? How is the cost of living? Thanks! (Can you tell Im nervous? My only time in the north was in Mitchell, SD, and it was really small and homogenous and kinda miserable.)
#138 of 208 Old 11-24-2006, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Is it homeschooling friendly? **I don't h/s but there are a lot around this area that do.
Or are there good preschool/ elementary schools? ** I love the charter school. It is a k-12 college prepratory school. My daughter is in her second year there and she does very well with the structure. There are doctor's children, non advanced educated people's children, Arfrican American and girls/teachers that wear head coverings. They encourage parental involvment. They encourage community projects (for example Empathy Quilts where the children and parents bring in squares of fabric and they sew them into quilts for the less fortunate in the area after school every other Monday). There are lots of elementary and middle schools, 4 high schools (2 in town and 2 farther out), at least one Christian school, that is what I know of there may be more.
LLL? **Midland has their own LLL the 4th Tuesday of every month. You can also attend the ones in Bay City and Saginaw if you don't mind a 20-25 minute drive.
What is the town like? **Well many people feel it is pretty much a "Dow" town. One can easily feel that if they don't work for Dow they don't rank very high on the radar but if popularity isn't an issue then you probably wouldn't care less. There are places to go like a Nature Center, Dow Gardens, the Pierre-Marquette Rail Trail, LOTS of parks, playgrounds, a big community center, 2 sprayparks, 1 outdoor community pool that was just remodeled, Gymnastic Training Center, a Tennis Center, and soccer is BIG here, and I'm sure more that I've forgot. There is a mall that has a playland with things to climb over for younger kids, a barnes and noble with a train table, and it makes a good place to walk indoors x#of laps=x#miles type thing.
How is the cost of living? **This I can't help too much on. It is cheaper than where I used to love (Petoskey Michigan read Tourist Town), but I think it is pretty good. Not California that is for SURE! Maybe someone else can help you more there. We are still at the bottom of the food chain so I don't have a lot of experience in that department.

It isn't Ann Arbor or Austin but it is a LOT better than some areas. We have health food stores (no TJ's, WF's, or WO's). I like that whether you live in Bay City, Saginaw, or Midland, you are just 20-25 minutes away from what you might need. Saginaw has a hospital with a NICU that can take a 23 wk baby. There is an OB that accepts VBAmC's. Three homebirth midwives. Lots of Medwives if that is your thing too.

I'm sure I've missed stuff. Anyone else?

#139 of 208 Old 11-25-2006, 01:37 AM

I would like to add that there is a good co-op, it's called GreenSeed and although most of the members live in Saginaw and that's where a lot of the work takes place, there are a few of us in Midland. We get lots of good organic and health foods a lot cheaper than at any of the stores!

Our LLL group just got started this spring, and the leader is really sweet. I'm their librarian. She has worked really hard to get the group going and we have had a great response from the community so far. There is 1 LC in town and they do work together.

The cost of living varies, it's more than in the UP (Upper Michigan) where I'm from. But, there are TONS of houses on the market right now so if you are looking to buy, it's really a buyer's market. It all depends on where you want to live though... homes range from modestly priced to $$$$ depending on the township.

I think there are quite a few HS-ers here, my son is 2 and we will do preschool at home but he'll go to school after that. I know a few who HS and I'm sure they would be happy to help you with anything you might need!

Midland, honestly, I think is a really strange town!! I am from a college town and there was always something going on, always something to do... people were a lot more friendly and less conservative. But, I have made some really good friends since we moved here 8 years ago, so it is possible - and it really helps to meet some people who can introduce you to other people of like mind. Like Alison said, Saginaw and Bay City are close too and more laid back, there is always something going on all year round between the 3 cities.

We have a yahoo group for moms in our area - Alison is in charge of it and could get you on it if you want! Some of us get together weekly so our kids can play and we have a pretty good time!

You can take belly dancing classes at the community center too, that's great fun!
#140 of 208 Old 11-25-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabith View Post
I just saw this thread and am so stoked because my husband is looking at a job to possibly move us to Midland. We're in San Antonio now, and I was looking at Midland on Wikipedia and was concerned about it being smallish and kinda un AP friendly. But there are MDC mommies! Yay! What can you tell me about Midland? Is it homeschooling friendly? Or are there good preschool/ elementary schools? LLL? What is the town like? How is the cost of living? Thanks! (Can you tell Im nervous? My only time in the north was in Mitchell, SD, and it was really small and homogenous and kinda miserable.)
Just be careful of where you live in Midland, you really do not want to live near Dow. If you start looking for apts or houses, check with the mama's from the town first.

The schools are great compared to the local areas.

I think the cost of living may be higher for you. I know Texas does not have state income tax, correct? State sales tax is 6% on all goods except for food.

Definately join Greenseed coop. They are a fantastic group of people. I moved out of the area, and miss them!
#141 of 208 Old 11-25-2006, 06:39 PM

Thank you! I am so relieved to hear that it is reasonably crunchy (probably more so than San Antonio) and that there are things to do. The charter school looks pretty awesome too. I feel so much better about it after hearing from you mamas! So how does Dow being there affect the town?
#142 of 208 Old 11-25-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabith View Post
So how does Dow being there affect the town?
Well, it's always a pretty town -- Dow puts money into everything -- the library, the parks (82 of them, I believe ), the art centers, the downtown area... even the play area at the mall is Dow sponsored. The downside is the contamination & pollution. My friend did some research & said that birth defects were waaaaay higher than anywhere else in the state. Of course the studies didn't check to see if there was a direct correlation between the people who live in the town & the people who actually work(ed) for Dow.

Crime is also pretty low, although I've heard it said that things aren't investigated/prosecuted unless it's obvious they will be successful, which makes us look better statistically. I've not had any real problems, but there are many sex offenders in the downtown area -- it's kind of concentrated, but I noticed it's the area where most all the houses have been converted into small apartments.

The other downside, is that in the last I-don't-know-how-long (several years?) Dow has downsized a lot, so the economy for the middle class isn't so great. DH may end up with a new job (his job now is out of Seattle & he works from home), and if we need to move I think we'll have a really hard time selling this house. The market is down, and I don't know when it's going to go up, ya know? Of course that makes buying a home great...

Anywho, barring the pollution & the chance that you'll be stuck here once you move here, it's a great place!
#143 of 208 Old 11-26-2006, 12:56 AM

Eek! The pollution issue is scary, especially since we plan on having more kids. Is there anything one can do to ameliorate that risk?

Is the housing economy in Saginaw or such any better? What fun stuff do you guys like to do with your kiddos?
#144 of 208 Old 11-26-2006, 01:43 AM

Fun stuff: taking them to parks, having playdates (playgroup every Wed. at my place ), taking them to civic functions -- there is a lot going on downtown, especially in the warmer months. There are two spray parks in town, and a wonderful paved rail trail for biking, walking, etc. We visit the library a lot, there is a wonderful kids area, and the mall's playarea & barnes & nobles train table (although there are no kids clothing stores except the department stores & target). There is also an ice skating rink around here somewhere, and the community pool...

There is a LOT to do around here, IMO. Also, Saginaw, Bay City & Mt. Pleasant are all about 1/2 hour away.

When it comes to the housing, this isn't an unusual situation for Michigan -- unemployment is up (and has been for a while), so people just aren't buying much. It isn't terrible, I don't think, but we bought an almost 100 year old house, and it has some quirks that you either love & appreciate, or hate... I don't mind them, but if we're ever going to make anything on the house we need to do some remodeling -- which we don't have the $$ for right now.

I'm sure it isn't really terrible, but in general I hear icky things about Saginaw's crime rates, & when I drive around there I'm inclined to lock the doors, IYKWIM. I haven't really noticed areas of Midland like that. Of course, like I said -- Dow puts a lot of $$ into this town, so it looks nice -- they even have flowers lining several of the main roads in town every year.

The birth defects thing worried me a bit, but like I said, I wonder how many of the "increased incidences" were from people who actually worked with toxic chemicals regularly... and when I say the % is doubled or whatever, it's something like instead of 3 babies born with cleft palet (sp??) 6 are -- it isn't a blooming thing you see everywhere. I think I may have seen 2 down's children recently at the mall. I just wanted you to be aware so you could research it.

There's actually a mama here (although I've not heard from her lately) whose husband works for Dow. She says he wanted to make sure they were... 1 mile? away from the plants, "as the bird flies." And he was more concerned with old pollution than with anything ongoing.
#145 of 208 Old 11-28-2006, 01:12 AM

I live in Saginaw and have had no issues with it. Honestly, we only lock our doors at night and not when we go out... Of course, each neighborhood is individual, as in any town, so you have to pick a good one. Carolynn, you are right about Midland's crime rate being low because of those tactics. "bad things don't happen in Midland" and Saginaw gets the bad rap
#146 of 208 Old 11-28-2006, 01:31 AM

Here's a great website re: stats of cities around the US: http://www.city-data.com According to this site, Saginaw has about 20,000 more people than Midland does -- it's a much bigger town, which would make an increase in crime more likely too. Anywho, good luck with your house hunting/relocation.
#147 of 208 Old 11-28-2006, 12:12 PM

You don't want to live "down wind" from Dow. If you need specifics, Im sure my DH knows what areas. Living on the river is also kind of iffy because of dioxins. A good real estate agent will help you with the areas.

Midland is very nice, and IMHO, much safer than Saginaw or Bay City. There is a Bradley teacher, Montessori schools, and an amazing chinese martial arts (Tai Chi, kung fu and acupuncture) school. I know a teacher at one of the high schools, and the students are very bright, smart (and probably pressured academically by the parents).

Bay City is nearby, and once again, you have to watch the "areas" to live, same with Saginaw. These "areas" are crime and local industry (GM, Dow, power plant in essexville, old chrome plating businesses). There is so much more industry, and old industry out here. Someone told me the Tri-City area has the highest rate of asthma in the country.
#148 of 208 Old 11-28-2006, 12:44 PM

Lenore -- are you shannon? If so, long lost stranger!
#149 of 208 Old 11-28-2006, 07:21 PM

nope, that is andrea
#150 of 208 Old 11-28-2006, 07:30 PM

doh... hi andrea!

ashley -- i keep reading on the mothering knitting ring & getting wierded out when i get to yours -- i recognize everything, but dont understand why until you say "taso"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page